'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Opened to $92 Million on Weekend Box Office
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" posted a strong box office number this weekend with $92 million domestically. It became the second highest-grossing domestic opener this year after "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" that opened to $95 million last month.
"It's a great start to an incredible run," said Rory Bruer, Sony's president of worldwide distribution said of the Andrew Garfield-starring film. "To have everything open now here and overseas, these are fantastic results across the board and we are in great shape. We've had stunning openings and great holds across the international markets."
"Amazing Spider-Man 2" was a promising contender to beat "Winter Soldier" when it grossed $277 million internationally in just three weeks. It is expected to add $116 million this weekend for a total of worldwide haul nearing $370 million.
Bruer thought that the number would continue to perform well overseas. "It's just been stunning results across-the-board worldwide," he said. "We had only one day in China, and it's been a huge one (estimated at $10.4 million). It's all going to add up nicely."
Bruer claimed that "Amazing Spider-Man 2" was going to have a solid run despite upcoming threat from "Godzilla". He told Deadline, "It will perform, but by that point and time, we'll be so well established, our holds will be strong. In the past, we've faced stiff competition and have met our goals so we're not worried."
However, "Amazing Spider-Man 2" failed to compare to other superhero movies that traditionally kicked off the summer movie fiesta. For huge comparison, "Iron Man 3" took in a massive $174 million domestic start last year.
- "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" - $92 million
- "The Other Woman (2014)" - $14.2 million
- "Heaven Is for Real" - $8.7 million
- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - $7.7 million
- "Rio 2" - $7.6 million
- "Brick Mansions" - $3.5 million
- "Divergent" - $2.1 million
- "The Quiet Ones" - $2 million
- "God's Not Dead" - $1.7 million
- "The Grand Budapest Hotel" - $1.7 million
- Bella Hadid Shows Off Lacy Bra and Flat Tummy in Crop Hoodie
- Jesse Eisenberg Teams Up With Bad Robot for TV Comedy
- Rita Ora Ditches Bra, Shows Her Nipples in See-Through Top
- 'Jurassic World 2' Connection With 'Jurassic Park' Is Revealed
- Kim Kardashian Shares How Paris Robbery Has Changed Her Life
- Vin Diesel Makes Rapping Debut With Nicky Jam at the 2017 Billboard Latin Music Awards
- 'La La Land' Filmmaker Damien Chazelle to Helm Musical-Themed TV Drama
- Sylvester Stallone May Star in More Marvel Films After 'GOTG 2'