Official: Former 'Doctor Who' Star Matt Smith Cast in 'Terminator' Reboot
Former "Doctor Who" star Matt Smith has landed a role in "Terminator: Genesis". In a statement released on Friday, May 2, Paramount Pictures confirmed the casting, saying that the actor would "play a new character with a strong connection to John Connor," without mentioning his name or other details of the role.
The Englishman, who played the 11th incarnation of the Doctor on the hit British series, joins Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, J.K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi and Lee Byung Hun who have been earlier tapped for the reboot project.
Arnie returns as the terminator, Emilia will play Sarah, Jason is cast as her son John, and Jai stars as his father Kyle Reese. "Thor: The Dark World" helmer Alan Taylor is on board to serve as the helmer.
Plot details are still kept under wraps, but Arnie once said the new movie would have the same feel as "Terminator 2". "There's hardcore action and it has some really great visual effects in there, but not over the top," he revealed. "It's not a 'Thor' type of movie, even though it's the same director. It has good special effects, but just enough to say, 'Wow, where did that come from? How did they do that?' "
The studio eyes a July 1, 2015 release for the movie stateside.
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie