Official: Former 'Doctor Who' Star Matt Smith Cast in 'Terminator' Reboot
Former "Doctor Who" star Matt Smith has landed a role in "Terminator: Genesis". In a statement released on Friday, May 2, Paramount Pictures confirmed the casting, saying that the actor would "play a new character with a strong connection to John Connor," without mentioning his name or other details of the role.
The Englishman, who played the 11th incarnation of the Doctor on the hit British series, joins Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, J.K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi and Lee Byung Hun who have been earlier tapped for the reboot project.
Arnie returns as the terminator, Emilia will play Sarah, Jason is cast as her son John, and Jai stars as his father Kyle Reese. "Thor: The Dark World" helmer Alan Taylor is on board to serve as the helmer.
Plot details are still kept under wraps, but Arnie once said the new movie would have the same feel as "Terminator 2". "There's hardcore action and it has some really great visual effects in there, but not over the top," he revealed. "It's not a 'Thor' type of movie, even though it's the same director. It has good special effects, but just enough to say, 'Wow, where did that come from? How did they do that?' "
The studio eyes a July 1, 2015 release for the movie stateside.
- Nick Cannon Is Still Close to Ex Mariah Carey but Says They're Not Sleeping Together
- Janet Jackson Is Swaying at Bruno Mars' Concert After Split
- Disney Star Michael Mantenuto Found Dead at 35 of Gunshot Wound
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Livid at Kris Jenner, Says She Barely Gets Money From 'KUWTK'
- Paranoid Travis Scott Fears Kylie Jenner Is Just Using Him to Get Revenge on Tyga
- Park Bom Flaunts Backside in Skimpy Swimsuit
- Watch Fall Out Boy's Bizarre Clip for 'Young and Menace'
- Barack Obama Disses Donald Trump's Tweeting Habit