Official: Former 'Doctor Who' Star Matt Smith Cast in 'Terminator' Reboot
Former "Doctor Who" star Matt Smith has landed a role in "Terminator: Genesis". In a statement released on Friday, May 2, Paramount Pictures confirmed the casting, saying that the actor would "play a new character with a strong connection to John Connor," without mentioning his name or other details of the role.
The Englishman, who played the 11th incarnation of the Doctor on the hit British series, joins Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, J.K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi and Lee Byung Hun who have been earlier tapped for the reboot project.
Arnie returns as the terminator, Emilia will play Sarah, Jason is cast as her son John, and Jai stars as his father Kyle Reese. "Thor: The Dark World" helmer Alan Taylor is on board to serve as the helmer.
Plot details are still kept under wraps, but Arnie once said the new movie would have the same feel as "Terminator 2". "There's hardcore action and it has some really great visual effects in there, but not over the top," he revealed. "It's not a 'Thor' type of movie, even though it's the same director. It has good special effects, but just enough to say, 'Wow, where did that come from? How did they do that?' "
The studio eyes a July 1, 2015 release for the movie stateside.
More Terminator Genisys News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris