Monaco Royal Family Condemns 'Grace of Monaco' in Open Letter
The Monaco royal family fired off a letter that condemned "Grace of Monaco" just days before the movie's premiere at Cannes Film Festival. The palace released a lengthy statement, saying the Nicole Kidman-starrer was "based on erroneous and dubious historical references" that the family didn't want to be associated with.
The Olivier Dahan-directed film has been scheduled to open the annual film festival on May 14. "...The Prince's Palace would like to reiterate that this feature cannot under any circumstances be classified as a biopic," a press release sent from the palace on Friday, May 2 read.
The statement continued, "The trailer appears to be a farce and confirms the totally fictional nature of this film. It reinforces the certainty, left after reading the script, that this production, a page of the Principality's history, is based on erroneous and dubious historical references. The director and producers refused to take into consideration the many observations made by the Palace because these called into question the entire script and the characters of the film."
It concluded, "The Princely Family does not in any way wish to be associated with this film which reflects no reality and regrets that Its history has been misappropriated for purely commercial purposes." Actress turned royal Grace Kelly, who is the main subject in the movie, is the mother of Prince Albert of Monaco.
"Grace of Monaco" is scheduled to open in theaters across Europe over the next few weeks after the Cannes premiere. It is yet to have a U.S. release date after The Weinstein Co. yanked it from the 2014 schedule earlier this year. It has been reported that Dahan refused to sign on the version that Harvey Weinstein wanted to release.
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed