Craig Ferguson Announces Exit From CBS' 'Late Late Show' After 10 Years
There's another shake-up in CBS' late-night line-up. Craig Ferguson announced to his audience during the Monday, April 28 taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" that he would be leaving the talk show in December, after almost 10 years.
"CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are 'consciously uncoupling,' but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much," he also said in a statement.
CBS Entertainment chairman Nina Tassler said in a release, "During his 10 years as host, Craig has elevated CBS to new creative and competitive heights at 12:30. He infused the broadcast with tremendous energy, unique comedy, insightful interviews and some of the most heartfelt monologues seen on television."
"Craig's versatile talents as a writer, producer, actor and comedian speak to his great days ahead. While we'll miss Craig and can't thank him enough for his contributions to both the show and the network, we respect his decision to move on, and we look forward to celebrating his final broadcasts during the next eight months."
Ferguson made his debut as "Late Late Show" host in January 2005, replacing Craig Kilborn. He reportedly was contractually promised David Letterman's chair when he retired, but he was never considered a candidate when Letterman announced his retirement earlier this year. Instead, CBS hired Stephen Colbert to take over the "Late Show" throne.
Ferguson's contract with CBS is up this year. There had been speculation about whether or not he would continue hosting "Late Late Show" as the 12:30 A.M. program has been averaging less than half of what NBC's "Late Night with Seth Meyers" is generating in the key adults 18-49 demographic. No replacement for Ferguson is announced so far.
The 51-year-old Scottish-born American comedian will keep himself busy with hosting a new syndicated game show "Celebrity Name Game" in the fall.
- Tom Brady on His Friendship With Donald Trump: Why Is It Such a Big Deal?
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Technical Difficulty Causes More Termination
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Is Suspended for Mocking Barron Trump on Twitter
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger
- Mel Gibson Welcomes Baby No. 9 - Is It a Boy or a Girl?