Paul Simon and Wife Held Hands After Domestic Violence Arrest
Singer Paul Simon and his wife Edie Brickell were arrested on Saturday, April 26 at the New Canaan, Conn. home on disorderly conduct charge. Simon said on Monday that they were having an argument before the arrest but they were fine after that.
The couple's attorney said they got into a shoving match when Brickell's mother called the police. "I think she was concerned, but there was nothing to be concerned about," Allan Cramer said via NY Daily News. Police chief Leon Krolikowski said at a news conference Monday that the person calling 911 quickly hung up.
Simon and Brickell's three children, Adrian, Lulu, and Gabriel, were reportedly present during the argument. "There was aggressiveness on both sides," Krolikowski said. "They're both victims and they have children involved and we're trying to be very cautious of that." Police found minor injuries when they arrived at the couple's home and suspected domestic violence.
Under Connecticut law, cops were required to make an arrest and they were both cooperative. "Before we left the scene we made assurances both were safe," Krolikowski told the Hartford Courant. "One of the parties agreed to leave and did leave."
Simon and Brickell were seen holding hands during courtroom session at the Norwalk Superior Court and left hand in hand. "We're going to go home and watch our son play baseball," Simon said during the arraignment. "We had an argument, which is atypical of us. Neither of us has any fear, or any reason to be threatened."
Brickell, later revealed in a statement sent to CNN by her lawyer, that she started the argument. "I got my feelings hurt and I picked a fight with my husband," Brickell said. "The police called it disorderly. Thank God it's orderly now."
They were due back in court on May 16.
- Tiny Harris Fake Facebook Stirs Up Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Affair Rumor
- Michael Bay Has Initial Idea for an R-Rated 'Bumblebee' Spin-Off
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Gets Animated in Bizarre Video for 'Sick Love'
- Mariah Carey's New Boyfriend Bryan Tanaka Admits He's 'Always Had a Thing' for Her
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Promises 'Refreshing' 'Celebrity Apprentice' in New Sneak Peek
- 'Last Tango in Paris' Rape Scene Backlash Is 'Ridiculous,' Says Bernardo Bertolucci
- Jimmy Kimmel's Wife Molly McNearney Is Pregnant With Their Second Child
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4