New 'Dad's Army' Movie in the Works With Bill Nighy Among the Cast
A new adaptation of BBC's classic sitcom "Dad's Army" is officially confirmed. Bill Nighy is tapped as Sergeant Wilson who was made famous by the late John Le Mesurier, while Toby Jones is booked as Captain Mainwaring originally played by the late Arthur Lowe.
"Johnny English Reborn" helmer Oliver Parker is set to sit behind the lens, while its scribe Hamish McColl will handle the scriptwriting. Original "Dad's Army" creator and writer Jimmy Perry, now 90 years old, will produce the new film along with "The Iron Lady" producer Damian Jones.
The original series follows Home Guard service made up of retired soldiers and civilian volunteers as they are preparing to defend Britain from invasion by Germany. It aired from 1968 to 1977, drawing nearly 20 million viewers at the peak of its success. The first film adaptation was made in 1971 with the original cast reprising their roles.
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney