New 'Dad's Army' Movie in the Works With Bill Nighy Among the Cast
A new adaptation of BBC's classic sitcom "Dad's Army" is officially confirmed. Bill Nighy is tapped as Sergeant Wilson who was made famous by the late John Le Mesurier, while Toby Jones is booked as Captain Mainwaring originally played by the late Arthur Lowe.
"Johnny English Reborn" helmer Oliver Parker is set to sit behind the lens, while its scribe Hamish McColl will handle the scriptwriting. Original "Dad's Army" creator and writer Jimmy Perry, now 90 years old, will produce the new film along with "The Iron Lady" producer Damian Jones.
The original series follows Home Guard service made up of retired soldiers and civilian volunteers as they are preparing to defend Britain from invasion by Germany. It aired from 1968 to 1977, drawing nearly 20 million viewers at the peak of its success. The first film adaptation was made in 1971 with the original cast reprising their roles.
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Firefighter Spin-Off Casts Jaina Lee Ortiz
- Ike Barinholtz Broke His Neck While Filming Movie Stunt
- Bella Hadid Flashes Nipples and Tummy in Skintight Crop Top
- Henry Cavill Addresses 'Justice League' 'Mustache Fiasco' With Hilarious Instagram Post
- Was '4:44' Album Title Inspired by Jay-Z and Solange's Elevator Fight?
- HBO's Porn Drama 'The Deuce' Gets a September Premiere Date
- Sean Spicer Eyed for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 25
- Paris Hilton Poses Half-Naked in Her Panties. See the Sexy Pic!