New 'Dad's Army' Movie in the Works With Bill Nighy Among the Cast
A new adaptation of BBC's classic sitcom "Dad's Army" is officially confirmed. Bill Nighy is tapped as Sergeant Wilson who was made famous by the late John Le Mesurier, while Toby Jones is booked as Captain Mainwaring originally played by the late Arthur Lowe.
"Johnny English Reborn" helmer Oliver Parker is set to sit behind the lens, while its scribe Hamish McColl will handle the scriptwriting. Original "Dad's Army" creator and writer Jimmy Perry, now 90 years old, will produce the new film along with "The Iron Lady" producer Damian Jones.
The original series follows Home Guard service made up of retired soldiers and civilian volunteers as they are preparing to defend Britain from invasion by Germany. It aired from 1968 to 1977, drawing nearly 20 million viewers at the peak of its success. The first film adaptation was made in 1971 with the original cast reprising their roles.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked