New 'Dad's Army' Movie in the Works With Bill Nighy Among the Cast
A new adaptation of BBC's classic sitcom "Dad's Army" is officially confirmed. Bill Nighy is tapped as Sergeant Wilson who was made famous by the late John Le Mesurier, while Toby Jones is booked as Captain Mainwaring originally played by the late Arthur Lowe.
"Johnny English Reborn" helmer Oliver Parker is set to sit behind the lens, while its scribe Hamish McColl will handle the scriptwriting. Original "Dad's Army" creator and writer Jimmy Perry, now 90 years old, will produce the new film along with "The Iron Lady" producer Damian Jones.
The original series follows Home Guard service made up of retired soldiers and civilian volunteers as they are preparing to defend Britain from invasion by Germany. It aired from 1968 to 1977, drawing nearly 20 million viewers at the peak of its success. The first film adaptation was made in 1971 with the original cast reprising their roles.
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour