New 'Dad's Army' Movie in the Works With Bill Nighy Among the Cast
A new adaptation of BBC's classic sitcom "Dad's Army" is officially confirmed. Bill Nighy is tapped as Sergeant Wilson who was made famous by the late John Le Mesurier, while Toby Jones is booked as Captain Mainwaring originally played by the late Arthur Lowe.
"Johnny English Reborn" helmer Oliver Parker is set to sit behind the lens, while its scribe Hamish McColl will handle the scriptwriting. Original "Dad's Army" creator and writer Jimmy Perry, now 90 years old, will produce the new film along with "The Iron Lady" producer Damian Jones.
The original series follows Home Guard service made up of retired soldiers and civilian volunteers as they are preparing to defend Britain from invasion by Germany. It aired from 1968 to 1977, drawing nearly 20 million viewers at the peak of its success. The first film adaptation was made in 1971 with the original cast reprising their roles.
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier