Video: John Oliver Pokes Fun at Donald Sterling Racism Claim on 'Last Week Tonight' Debut
John Oliver launched his HBO talk show by taking on a hot issue that emerged over the weekend. On the first episode of "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" which aired Sunday, April 27, he mocked Donald Sterling who landed in hot water after caught on audio tape making racist remarks.
"It turned out to be a rough week for unrepentant racists and recording devices," he said. After showing a clip of news reporting on the controversy, he quipped, "Wow that is genuinely shocking: An 80-year-old man knows about Instagram." He added about the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, "He's like a walking 'Before' photo!"
John McCain was another "victim" of Oliver's jokes during his "Last Week Tonight" debut. In a bit called "John McCain Tells the Same Joke Six Different Times in 6 Different Places", he pointed out that the Arizona senator had said, "Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country," in several different versions in multiple interviews.
When reporting a "crazy" incident in India in which a leopard escaped, he commented, "It's not crazy: Leopards are indigenous to India. If it were a leopard in Times Square on New Year's Eve, that would be crazy. That would be insane." Oliver then showed a picture of Ryan Seacrest with a leopard in Times Square and jokingly said, "You get him."
He also took a jab at the U.S. media for ignoring the election in India. Noticing that some reports out of India were similar in nature to Fox News', he added, "You've forgotten one crucial detail here, India, because if you really want to Americanize your media, there is one thing you have to do, and that is stop covering the India election."
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters