Artist of the Week: Ed Sheeran
Living in the U.S. for months helped British heartthrob Ed Sheeran complete his highly-anticipated sophomore album, "X". The 23-year-old singer, who spent most of 2013 hitting the road with Taylor Swift on her "Red" tour, admitted that the places he visited and the "cool" people he met in the country inspired him to write a lot of new songs for the follow-up to 2011's "+".
"I lived in Nashville for six months, I lived in L.A. for three months and New York for two," he said in an interview on Ryan Seacrest's radio show recently. "I wrote a lot of stuff. I wrote the whole of this next record ... over the course of the year, I wrote 120 songs."
"America is one of those countries where you have a lot of experiences and meet a lot of new people ... it's not like rapping about road changes, but there are songs inspired by Nashville and things like that ... and I took more influence from music here, I got to work with a lot of very cool people over here producer-wise," he continued.
Pharrell Williams is definitely one of the cool people he has worked with for the new album. The "Happy" singer served as the producer for "Sing", the lead single off the LP. The up-tempo and Justin Timberlake-inspired track, which was released earlier this month, received generally positive reviews and it is currently sitting at No. 14 on Billboard 100.
"X" album will also feature other songs including "Don't" which is allegedly about Ellie Goulding cheating on Sheeran with his best friend. The "Lego House" crooner hasn't confirmed of denied the allegation, but he recently said that the song was clearly not about pal Swift.
"It's 100% not about Taylor," he told Rolling Stone. "I've never dated Taylor. I've dated a few singers, though." Sheeran went on saying that he played the song to Swift and she said that she never wanted to upset him. "She was just like, 'Whatever happens, ever, between us, as friends, I never want to p**s you off that much,' " he added.
"X", which is pronounced "Multiply", is set to arrive in the U.S. on June 23. In addition to Pharrell, the album will include contributions from Rick Rubin and Benny Blanco among others.
More Ed Sheeran News
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says