'The Other Woman' Triumphs Over 'Captain America 2' at Box Office
"The Other Woman (2014)" comes out as the winner at this weekend box office. The comedy starring Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann and Kate Upton debuts to an estimated $24.7 million on its first weekend, beating former champion "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".
Also boosted by the performance of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Nicki Minaj and Taylor Kinney, the 20th Century Fox movie earned a B+ CinemaScore. Internationally, it has raked in $20.6 million so far for a global cume of $45.3 million, against its reported $40 million budget.
"The rating was perfect," says Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst of box-office tracker Rentrak. "If you are going for the mainstream audience who is looking for something that has a little bit of an edge, but not too much, you can hit that sweet spot and draw a large audience." Fox senior vice president of domestic distribution Spencer Klein adds, "The combination of the three actresses and a fun movie really struck a chord."
The "Captain America: The First Avenger" sequel has to be content with being a runner-up after ruling the domestic chart for three consecutive weekends. It adds an estimated $16 million. It has so far collected $224.9 million domestically, becoming the top-grossing April release of all time in North America.
"Heaven Is for Real" slips one place to No. 3 on its second weekend with additional $13.8 million cume. "Rio 2" also falls one spot to No. 4, adding an estimated $13.6 million to its domestic gross.
"Brick Mansions", one of the last movies starring the late Paul Walker, bows at No. 5 with approximately $9.6 million. Another newcomer, horror movie "The Quiet Ones" from Lionsgate Films, makes it to the Top 10 at No. 7 with an estimated $4 million.
- "The Other Woman (2014)" - $24.7 million
- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - $16 million
- "Heaven Is for Real" - $13.8 million
- "Rio 2" - $13.6 million
- "Brick Mansions" - $9.6 million
- "Transcendence" - $4.1 million
- "The Quiet Ones" - $4 million
- "Bears" - $3.61 million
- "Divergent" - $3.6 million
- "A Haunted House 2" - $3.3 million
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Make a Pact to Stay Civil for the Kids
- Calvin Harris Premieres Beachy Music Video for 'Feels' Ft. Katy Perry, Pharrell and Big Sean
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Set Photos Reveal Iron Man's New Suit
- Beyonce, Jay-Z and Children Move Into Lavish Malibu Mansion
- Justin Bieber to Team Up With Anitta on New Song
- Alec Baldwin Will Bring Back Donald Trump Impression to 'Saturday Night Live'
- 'Deadpool 2': Ryan Reynolds Crashes Kid's Birthday Party in New Set Photos
- Is Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's Surrogate Pregnant With Twins?