Bryan Singer Calls Sexual Abuse Accusations 'Sick Twisted Shakedown'
Bryan Singer has spoken up following allegations that he sexually abused a then-teenager named Michael F. Egan. The director of "X Men: Days of Future Past" released a statement to media on Thursday, April 24 to deny the claims as well as announcing that he would not take part in the movie's upcoming promotional activities.
"The allegations against me are outrageous, vicious and completely false. I do not want these fictitious claims to divert ANY attention from 'X Men: Days of Future Past'. This fantastic film is a labor of love and one of the greatest experiences of my career," he said.
"So, out of respect to all of the extraordinary contributions from the incredibly talented actors and crew involved, I've decided not to participate in the upcoming media events for the film. However, I promise when this situation is over, the facts will show this to be the sick twisted shake down it is. I want to thank fans, friends and family for all their amazing and overwhelming support," the statement continued.
Egan filed a lawsuit against Singer earlier this month, claiming that the filmmaker sexually abused him when he was a minor. In a press conference on Monday, April 21, Egan's lawyer Jeff Herman announced that he had filed more lawsuits against three Hollywood executives, accusing them of doing similar actions. According to the suits, the three are parts of a Hollywood sex ring which allegedly also involves Singer. They all have denied the allegations.
Starring Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender among others, "X Men: Days of Future Past" will hit U.S. theaters on May 23.
- 'Power Rangers' First Full Trailer Offers First Official Look at Zordon and Megazord
- Amazon Is Adapting Neil Gaiman's 'Good Omens' Into a Limited Series
- Caitlyn Jenner's Rep Clears Up Rumors of Inaugural Dance With Donald Trump
- Nancy Sinatra Slams Donald Trump for Using Her Father's Song at His Inauguration Ball
- Ariana Grande Shares Sweet Birthday Message for 'Soulmate' Mac Miller
- Bella Thorne Gets Flirty With Zedd on Twitter and His Fans Absolutely Hate It
- Fetty Wap and Monty Flaunt Million-Dollar Bling in New Video for 'S**t I Like'
- Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Reportedly Fighting Over Whether to Have Baby No. 3