Video: David Letterman Welcomes Successor Stephen Colbert on 'Late Show'
Stephen Colbert has paid a visit to "Late Show with David Letterman" for the first time since he was announced as David Letterman's replacement. On Tuesday, April 22, he was introduced as "the very talented" and "the always entertaining Stephen Colbert" by David Letterman as he appeared as a guest on the show.
Talking about taking over the reign on "Late Show", Colbert told Letterman, "I'm going to do whatever you have done. It seems to have gone pretty well, Dave." The current host, however, suggested Colbert not to do it.
"Well, obviously I'm thrilled and honored to be taking over for you," Colbert gushed. "Well, I'm thrilled as well," Letterman said. "In a situation like this...they could have just as easily hired another boob like me. But they didn't, they hire a guy..." Colbert responded, "They hire a boob like me... Every boob is like a snowflake, Dave. We're all unique in our own way."
Showing that there's no bad blood between them, the two even took a selfie together. "Is this still what people do?" Letterman asked, to which Colbert responded, "No, this is actually very retro now."
The host of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" also recalled how he landed an internship on Letterman's show in the mid-1980s, but he turned it down because it was unpaid. "The next job I'm taking here, it pays right?" he jokingly asked. "Because I've already signed."
Later in 1997, he applied to be a writer on "Late Show", but was contacted too late for an interview. He's then given the chance to deliver the Top 10 list "Cocktails for Santa" that he wrote when he applied for the job. Letterman protested when the home band played the Top 10 music for Colbert, shouting at Paul Shaffer, "He doesn't get that yet!"
Colbert will begin hosting "Late Show" in 2015 after Letterman retires.
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture