Video: David Letterman Welcomes Successor Stephen Colbert on 'Late Show'
Stephen Colbert has paid a visit to "Late Show with David Letterman" for the first time since he was announced as David Letterman's replacement. On Tuesday, April 22, he was introduced as "the very talented" and "the always entertaining Stephen Colbert" by David Letterman as he appeared as a guest on the show.
Talking about taking over the reign on "Late Show", Colbert told Letterman, "I'm going to do whatever you have done. It seems to have gone pretty well, Dave." The current host, however, suggested Colbert not to do it.
"Well, obviously I'm thrilled and honored to be taking over for you," Colbert gushed. "Well, I'm thrilled as well," Letterman said. "In a situation like this...they could have just as easily hired another boob like me. But they didn't, they hire a guy..." Colbert responded, "They hire a boob like me... Every boob is like a snowflake, Dave. We're all unique in our own way."
Showing that there's no bad blood between them, the two even took a selfie together. "Is this still what people do?" Letterman asked, to which Colbert responded, "No, this is actually very retro now."
The host of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" also recalled how he landed an internship on Letterman's show in the mid-1980s, but he turned it down because it was unpaid. "The next job I'm taking here, it pays right?" he jokingly asked. "Because I've already signed."
Later in 1997, he applied to be a writer on "Late Show", but was contacted too late for an interview. He's then given the chance to deliver the Top 10 list "Cocktails for Santa" that he wrote when he applied for the job. Letterman protested when the home band played the Top 10 music for Colbert, shouting at Paul Shaffer, "He doesn't get that yet!"
Colbert will begin hosting "Late Show" in 2015 after Letterman retires.
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off