Richard Donner: 'Goonies' Sequel Is Steven Speilberg's Idea
"Goonies" director Richard Donner gives update on the planned sequel. In a chat with TMZ, he reveals that Steven Spielberg is back getting involved in the project and that the "Lincoln" helmer is the one who came up with the idea for the second installment.
"Steven came up with the idea of doing a sequel after thirty years," Donner spills the beans. "We've been trying for a while," he adds. "And then he came up with another story line. He's right on."
The 1985 movie was scripted by Chris Columbus from a story by executive producer Spielberg. It followed a group of kids who found a map that led them on an adventure to unearth a missing treasure of legendary pirate, One-Eyed Willie. It starred Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Josh Brolin, Jeff Cohen, and Martha Plimpton.
Donner wouldn't confirm if any of the original cast would return for the sequel, but Astin told IGN last year, "It will happen. I'm 1000 percent certain there will be a sequel. I will bet my children on it." Feldman recently tweeted, "It's close, then I believe they R workin hard 2 make it the best script poss[ible] and if and when they feel confident 2 share w us, U will know!"
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016
- Taylor Swift Won't Come to MTV VMAs 2016 as Kanye West Is Given Free Reign on Stage
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels