Richard Donner: 'Goonies' Sequel Is Steven Speilberg's Idea
"Goonies" director Richard Donner gives update on the planned sequel. In a chat with TMZ, he reveals that Steven Spielberg is back getting involved in the project and that the "Lincoln" helmer is the one who came up with the idea for the second installment.
"Steven came up with the idea of doing a sequel after thirty years," Donner spills the beans. "We've been trying for a while," he adds. "And then he came up with another story line. He's right on."
The 1985 movie was scripted by Chris Columbus from a story by executive producer Spielberg. It followed a group of kids who found a map that led them on an adventure to unearth a missing treasure of legendary pirate, One-Eyed Willie. It starred Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Josh Brolin, Jeff Cohen, and Martha Plimpton.
Donner wouldn't confirm if any of the original cast would return for the sequel, but Astin told IGN last year, "It will happen. I'm 1000 percent certain there will be a sequel. I will bet my children on it." Feldman recently tweeted, "It's close, then I believe they R workin hard 2 make it the best script poss[ible] and if and when they feel confident 2 share w us, U will know!"
- Report: Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Are Spoiling Their Surrogate
- Kristen Stewart Caught Cheating on Stella Maxwell With Ex Alicia Cargile
- Find Out What George and Amal Clooney's Twin Kids Will Inherit When They Turn 21
- DJ Khaled Releases New Album 'Grateful'
- Is Drake Expecting a Son?
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular