Artist of the Week: Iggy Azalea
A few weeks after being released, Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" music video still gets people talking. The visuals, which features the Australian raptress and her collaborator Charlie XCX recreating classic movie "Clueless", is still one of the hottest clips on YouTube with more than 16 million views.
"I'm a huge fan of the movie," Iggy, born Amethyst Kelly, recently talked about the concept of her video in an interview with Radio.com. "I always ask why hasn't anybody remade it and wouldn't it be cool if we could remake it. I'd see a lot of photo shoots and stuff like that trying to remake it, but I didn't feel very impressed by them."
The 23-year-old starlet added that her "Fancy" was "such a West Coast sounding song" that would fit the film. "It's a movie about Valley Girls and that's something very West Coast but not very rap," she said. "I thought it would be a cool tongue-in-cheek way to be very L.A. but unexpected. I didn't want to do low-rider cars and bright, shiny bicycles or palm trees. I didn't want to do something that was cliche because that's not me."
"Fancy" was released earlier this year as the third single off her debut album "The New Classic". The track, which received generally positive reviews, becomes her first song to enter Billboard 100. It peaked at No. 37 the chart. In the U.K., it debuted at No. 5 and became her highest-charting single to date.
After numerous delays, "The New Classic" will finally arrive in the U.S. on April 22. In addition to Charli XCX, the record features guest appearances from Rita Ora and Mavado. The former worked with Iggy for Katy Perry-co-penned "Black Widow" while the latter appears in a track called "Lady Patra".
More Iggy Azalea News
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off