Debbie Gibson Reveals Battle With Lyme Disease
Former teen star Debbie Gibson reveals that she has been diagnosed with Lyme disease. The singer/songwriter opens up about the disease in a post WHEN LIFE HANDS YOU A LEMON ... OR LYME!! which was written on April 16 after some fans commented on her skinny appearance. Gibson explains that she found out about the disease last year following extreme pain and other symptoms.
"The first symptoms came in the form of food sensitivities. I found I could not touch sugar, starch, caffeine, certain oils, etc., without having a severe reaction that felt like jolts of electricity running through my body. I felt like a live wire. Talk about 'Electric Youth'!" she reveals, making reference to her album which was released in 1989.
The singer then says that she became so thin because she could not keep the food down. "I was not absorbing water properly and could not drink enough of it to stay hydrated. Because of this, my appearance was pretty harsh. I was self conscious about the deep lines on my forehead. I got a call right at that moment to do a cameo in the 3rd 'Mega Shark' installment. I hated the thought of appearing on camera looking so gaunt and depleted," she shares.
Gibson says that she "got tested for everything under the sun," but not for Lyme disease. Around the time doctors came with the diagnosis, "my cognitive thinking had been affected... my sense of direction, sleep, moods, stamina, muscles and joints. And, I had this sunken in look and dark circles under my eyes."
In the end of the post, she leaves a message to fans who made cruel remarks about her appearance, writing, "NEVER JUDGE... ANYONE! You never know what someone is going through." Gibson adds, "I am still in this process and undergoing treatment. But, beyond just 'glimmers of hope,' I actually feel like 'ME' again."
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story