'Good Morning America' Promotes Lara Spencer to Co-Host
"Good Morning America" adds a third co-host to its panel. ABC News President James Goldston informed staff in a memo sent to news division on Friday, April 18 that Lara Spencer would now hold the same title as George Stephanopolous and Robin Roberts (II).
"A key member of our on-air team, Lara Spencer, rejoined ABC three years ago - bringing her style, humor, sunny confidence, wonderful journalism and storytelling to GMA," Goldston wrote. "Lara is clearly an essential ingredient in the success we have enjoyed and I am so pleased to announce that Lara has been elevated to co-host of the program along with Robin and George."
He added, "With our amazing team of George, Robin, and Lara and now Amy [Robach] and Ginger [Zee] too- I'm confident there is much more to come-and great days ahead for Good Morning America."
"I remain in awe of the entire staff at GMA. With Tom at the helm and Ben's brilliant leadership, your drive, passion, creativity and unwavering dedication to ABC News and GMA brought us to where we are today," Goldston continued.
"As I close out my first week in the new job, I want to take a moment to thank everyone for all your good wishes. I could not be more excited and honored to work with this stellar team. Your dedication and passion are unmatched and I look forward to reaching great new heights alongside all of you."
He concluded his note, "Please join me in congratulating Lara on this well-deserved promotion as we all take a moment to look back on two remarkable years. And here's to many, many more!"
Spencer's promotion is the latest shake-up in "GMA" line-up following Josh Elliott's departure and Amy Robach's promotion to full-time news anchor. Additionally, Michael Strahan and Tony Reali have been tapped as contributors.
Spencer joined "GMA" in 2011 as lifestyle anchor. She reportedly has just signed a new deal worth about $3 million a year. Longtime co-host Roberts renewed her contract late last year, reportedly making as much as $18 million a year. Meanwhile, Stephanopolous' current deal will expire next fall.
- Harry Styles Stops His Concert to Pay Tribute to Victims of Manchester Bombing
- Jack Kesy Rumored to Play Tom Cassidy in 'Deadpool 2'
- The Great War Is Coming in First Trailer for 'Game of Thrones' Season 7
- First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern, Captain Phasma Unmasked in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts