Sky Ferreira Denies 'I Blame Myself' Video Is Racist
Sky Ferreira was accused of being a racist after she released the official music video for her single "I Blame Myself" earlier this week. Some people are not happy with the scenes showing the singer dancing and doing seemingly illegal activities with several African-American men.
They took to social media to voice their opinion about the men's appearances. "Almost touching black men doesn't make you cool, dangerous, or liberated in 2014," one person wrote on Twitter. "I'm tired of seeing black people used as props," another wrote on Facebook.
Ferreira then responded to the criticism by posting a lengthy statement on her Facebook page on Wednesday night, April 16. "Some people are accusing of being racist. I usually do not need to feel the need to explain myself(which I'm not) but I DO feel the need to share my thoughts on the situation," she wrote. "Nothing upsets me more than being called racist because that is one of the most hateful things anyone can be."
The 21-year-old starlet then explained that she didn't use the men as "props." "Dancers make things come to life," she continued. "I auditioned a bunch of dancers,all races & my dancers were the best ones... I never exploited anyone & I don't use people in any shape or form. My brother is half black. My cousins are black. My family is Latina & Native American. Some of my family is in the video."
She then asked critics to "do research before you make such s***ty accusations about people" and thanked those who worked with her for the music video. "We have been trying to make it for a while & I'm so glad I get to share it with the world now," she concluded.
"I Blame Myself" is a single off "Night Time, My Time", Ferreira's debut album which was released last year.
- 'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell Teases the Return of Mystery Character and 'Meaner' Season 5
- Kanye West and Everyone, Including Taylor Swift, Sleep Naked in His 'Famous' Video
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Confirms the Presence of A.R.G.U.S.
- Khloe Kardashian Sizzles With Purple Lipstick on Glamour Mexico. See the Sexy Snaps!
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Pixie Haircut at Givenchy Fashion Show With Bella Hadid and More
- Teresa Palmer Finds Someone's Name Carved in New 'Lights Out' Trailer
- Liam Hemsworth Defends His 2012 Engagement to Miley Cyrus
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women