Kim Novak Comments on Oscar Night 'Bullies'
Veteran actress Kim Novak has spoken out against "bullies" who made mean comments about her face on social media following her appearance at the Oscars earlier this year. In a phone interview with the Associated Press on Thursday, April 17 after releasing an open letter addressing the issue, she said, "It really did throw me into a tailspin and it hit me hard."
Talking from her home near the Rogue River in Oregon, the "Vertigo" star said that at first she just wanted to ignore them, but it hurt. "For days, I didn't leave the house, and it got to me like it gets kids and teenagers" who are attacked, the star shared.
"I will no longer hold myself back from speaking out against bullies. We can't let people get away with affecting our lives," she said in her letter. Following her Oscar appearance with Matthew McConaughey, some people made jokes about her face. Donald Trump additionally told her to "sue her plastic surgeon."
"I'm not going to deny that I had fat injections in my face. They seemed far less invasive than a face lift," she added. "In my opinion, a person has a right to look as good as they can, and I feel better when I look better."
Novak said that fans gave her warm welcome when she went to Cannes, France last year, so she was taken aback by the mean comments. "I thought, 'Perhaps Hollywood is ready to receive me in a different way.' I was just not prepared for such a negative reaction and it just caught me off guard," she explained.
"I realized that I had to stand up not only for myself but for other people that don't have the courage to do so," the 81-year-old star added. "I feel like I have a mission."
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does