James Franco Slams Critic Over Negative Review of His Play 'Of Mice and Men'
James Franco is not happy that his performance on Broadway show "Of Mice and Men" got negative feedback from New York Times' Ben Brantley. While posting on Instagram a glowing review from Variety, he adds an extra caption that fires back at the NYT critic.
"Sadly Ben Brantley and The NYT have embarrassed themselves. Brantley is such a little b*tch he should be working for Gawker.com instead of the paper of record. The theatre community hates him, and for good reason, HE's an idiot," he wrote in caps lock. The post has since been deleted but it has been screen-captured and spread on the internet.
In his mixed review, Brantley wrote, "Though he sports a Yosemite Sam accent, Mr. Franco is often understated to the point of near invisibility. It's a tight, internal performance begging for a camera's close-up. And only in the play's second scene - in a bunkhouse, where Lennie retells George about the dream farm they'll someday own together - did I sense a warming current of affection between the characters."
A revival of John Steinbeck's 1937 classic drama of the same name, it is supported by Chris O'Dowd and Leighton Meester. It marks the first stint on The Great White Way for the three. It enters on an unlikely friendship between two migrant field workers in California during the Great Depression. O'Dowd plays the mentally-challenged Lennie who befriends George (Franco). Meester plays Lennie's love interest.
Update Brantley has responded to the actor's outburst, telling New York Observer, "I like Franco's work on film a lot, and he didn't disgrace himself on stage. I hope he returns to Broadway some day. And of course he's entitled to say whatever he likes about me, as long as it's not libelous, and somehow I don't think 'little bitch' qualifies."
Ohh brother pic.twitter.com/TKM3NktC7P— Richard Lawson (@rilaws) April 17, 2014
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked