James Franco Slams Critic Over Negative Review of His Play 'Of Mice and Men'
James Franco is not happy that his performance on Broadway show "Of Mice and Men" got negative feedback from New York Times' Ben Brantley. While posting on Instagram a glowing review from Variety, he adds an extra caption that fires back at the NYT critic.
"Sadly Ben Brantley and The NYT have embarrassed themselves. Brantley is such a little b*tch he should be working for Gawker.com instead of the paper of record. The theatre community hates him, and for good reason, HE's an idiot," he wrote in caps lock. The post has since been deleted but it has been screen-captured and spread on the internet.
In his mixed review, Brantley wrote, "Though he sports a Yosemite Sam accent, Mr. Franco is often understated to the point of near invisibility. It's a tight, internal performance begging for a camera's close-up. And only in the play's second scene - in a bunkhouse, where Lennie retells George about the dream farm they'll someday own together - did I sense a warming current of affection between the characters."
A revival of John Steinbeck's 1937 classic drama of the same name, it is supported by Chris O'Dowd and Leighton Meester. It marks the first stint on The Great White Way for the three. It enters on an unlikely friendship between two migrant field workers in California during the Great Depression. O'Dowd plays the mentally-challenged Lennie who befriends George (Franco). Meester plays Lennie's love interest.
Update Brantley has responded to the actor's outburst, telling New York Observer, "I like Franco's work on film a lot, and he didn't disgrace himself on stage. I hope he returns to Broadway some day. And of course he's entitled to say whatever he likes about me, as long as it's not libelous, and somehow I don't think 'little bitch' qualifies."
Ohh brother pic.twitter.com/TKM3NktC7P— Richard Lawson (@rilaws) April 17, 2014
More James Franco News
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed