Lorde Meets 'Royals' Inspiration George Brett
Lorde finally meets baseball star George Brett who served as inspiration behind her hit song "Royals". The New Zealand native met the former Kansas City Royals third baseman at her concert in Las Vegas on Tuesday, April 15.
In a photo shared by MLB via its Twitter account, the two stars can be seen standing side by side. Brett is all smiles with a hand perching on her shoulder. "And now you're Royal. @lordemusic meets @Royals icon George Brett," reads a caption for the snap.
In an interview in 2013, Lorde told VH1 that she wrote the song after she saw a photo of Brett giving signs to fans. "I had this image from the National Geographic of this dude just signing baseballs. He was a baseball player and his shirt said, 'Royals'. I really love that word... I'll pick a word and I'll pen an idea to that. It was just that word that I was like, 'This is really cool,' " she explained back then.
"Lorde is such a sweet little girl. She's only 17 years old and she's very talented," Brett told TMZ of meeting the Grammy-winning singer. "My wife and I met her after she did her sound check. And then we got to talk to her for a little bit after the concert also. We had two cabanas. It's a beautiful place."
Brett continued explaining that he familiarized himself with Lorde's works before they met. "I actually downloaded her music off iTunes and listened to it on the plane ride to Vegas. I knew all the songs when she sang them," he said.
"We both said it was nice to meet each other. She told me about looking through the National Geographic and seeing the picture [of me from 1976] and cutting it out and putting it on her wall," the baseball star added. "She said it inspired her."
More Lorde News
- Ron Howard Officially Announced to Direct Han Solo Movie
- 'Bachelor' Alum Leah Block Apologizes for Racist 'Bachelorette' Tweet
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later' Gets Star-Studded First Trailer
- 'Jurassic World' Sequel Reveals Official Title and First Poster
- Harry Styles Mourning the Loss of His Stepfather
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna