Jaden Smith and Liev Schreiber to Play Key Roles in Slavery Drama 'Good Lord Bird'
Jaden Smith and Liev Schreiber are set for "The Good Lord Bird". Smith will play a young slave named Henry "Little Onion" Shackleford, while Schreiber will portray abolitionist John Brown, whose rebellion became one of the great catalysts for American Civil War.
The upcoming slavery movie is set to be a big-screen translation of James McBride's book of the same name which won National Book Award last year. The author will also serve as a producer for the feature film along with Schreiber and Brian Taylor.
In this film, Brown's story will be depicted through the eyes of Little Onion. The Kansas slave travels the nation with Brown after being forced to leave the town by his master. The young boy who was mistaken for a girl because he always wears dress witnesses Brown's tireless fight to overthrow the institution of slavery including his historic raid on Harpers Ferry in 1859.
Smith, 15, was last seen on the big screen in "After Earth" where he shared screen with his father Will Smith, and he is expected to return for "The Karate Kid" sequel. Schreiber, 46, played Lyndon B. Johnson in "Lee Daniels' The Butler" and will next appear in "Pawn Sacrifice".
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kenny Pitted Against Lee in Two-on-One Date
- Erin Andrews Shares Marvelous Photos of 'Fairytale' Wedding to Jarret Stoll
- Calvin Harris Shares Track List of New Album, Teases New Video With Katy Perry and Pharrell
- Report: Chris Brown and Quavo's Feud Is Far From Over
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Gets TV Premiere Date. See New Stunning Poster!
- 'Bachelor in Paradise': DeMario Details Wild Night With Corinne in First Interview Post-Scandal
- Remy Ma 'Ecstatic' After Breaking Nicki Minaj's Winning Streak at BET Awards
- 'Castle Rock' Casts Jane Levy and Sissy Spacek