'Game of Thrones' Purple Wedding Episode Sets New Piracy Record
The latest episode of "Game of Thrones" currently becomes talk of the town due to a major character's death and people who don't subscribe to HBO were apparently eager to see the episode as well. According to TorrentFreak, "The Lion and the Rose" which aired Sunday, April 13 broke the world record for the largest BitTorrent swarm ever.
More than 193,000 people shared a single copy of the episode on Monday. Additionally, roughly 1.5 million people worldwide downloaded the episode during the first day it's made available online.
"The previous record was set last year, when the season finale of Game of Thrones had 171,572 people sharing on a single tracker," the site reports. "Last week's season opening, on the other hand, had 'only' 140,000 people sharing the most active torrent."
"Game of Thrones" has been named the most-pirated television show by episode two years in a row since 2012.
The medieval drama series recently also set a new record as HBO's most-watched program since "The Sopranos" series finale in 2007 with its season 4 premiere, which posted 8.2 million viewers after two replays. The latest episode, meanwhile, delivered 8 million viewers across three replays.
Cast members such as Maisie Williams, Liam Cunningham and Rory McCann reacted to the death of Jack Gleeson's King Joffrey in a video which was recently made available online.
"Game of Thrones" Cast React to the Death:
More Game of Thrones News
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs