'Game of Thrones' Purple Wedding Episode Sets New Piracy Record
The latest episode of "Game of Thrones" currently becomes talk of the town due to a major character's death and people who don't subscribe to HBO were apparently eager to see the episode as well. According to TorrentFreak, "The Lion and the Rose" which aired Sunday, April 13 broke the world record for the largest BitTorrent swarm ever.
More than 193,000 people shared a single copy of the episode on Monday. Additionally, roughly 1.5 million people worldwide downloaded the episode during the first day it's made available online.
"The previous record was set last year, when the season finale of Game of Thrones had 171,572 people sharing on a single tracker," the site reports. "Last week's season opening, on the other hand, had 'only' 140,000 people sharing the most active torrent."
"Game of Thrones" has been named the most-pirated television show by episode two years in a row since 2012.
The medieval drama series recently also set a new record as HBO's most-watched program since "The Sopranos" series finale in 2007 with its season 4 premiere, which posted 8.2 million viewers after two replays. The latest episode, meanwhile, delivered 8 million viewers across three replays.
Cast members such as Maisie Williams, Liam Cunningham and Rory McCann reacted to the death of Jack Gleeson's King Joffrey in a video which was recently made available online.
"Game of Thrones" Cast React to the Death:
More Game of Thrones News
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama