Michael Phelps Ends Retirement, May Compete in Rio 2016
Michael Phelps is back on competitive swim for fun. The 22-time Olympic medalist is coming out of retirement and may participate in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
Phelps' coach told the Associated Press that the 28-year-old would compete for the first time since 2012 games in London at the Arena Grand Prix in Mesa, Arizona on April 24 to 26. "I think he's just going to test the waters a little bit and see how it goes," Bowman said by phone from Baltimore on Monday, April 14. "I wouldn't say it's a full-fledged comeback."
Bowman also told USA Today, "As of today, I definitely expect him to swim." He will be competing in three events; the 50- and 100-meter freestyles and the 100 butterfly. "We're looking forward to it. I think it'll be great for the sport to have Michael compete again. We really don't have any expectations for what might happen," Bowman added.
Phelps has submitted drug testing earlier this year and completed the six-month waiting period by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to be eligible for competition. He has been training five days a week with Bowman's team at the North Baltimore Aquatic Club in his hometown.
Phelps previously said that he wouldn't swim through his 30s. "This is a part of my life I'm enjoying," he told Baltimore Sun in June last year. "I've never had freedom like this. I live on my own time. I play golf three or four times a week. I wake up whenever I want. I have a few things to do here and there, but mostly my time is mine. I'm not thinking about changing that."
- Selena Gomez Is Queen of Instagram, Becomes the First Person to Reach 100M Followers
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reportedly Planning a 'Secret Wedding' to Nina Agdal
- Listen to Juicy J's New Single 'Ballin' Feat. Kanye West
- 'Black Panther' Casts 'Person of Interest' Alum Winston Duke as Villainous Man-Ape
- Zayn and Gigi Hadid Get Lovey-Dovey in This Pic as His Mom Asks Him to Dump Her
- Mariah Carey Debuts New Song 'Infamous' for 'Empire' Series
- Keanu Reeves Walks Down Brooklyn Bridge With His New Dog in New 'John Wick 2' Pic
- Here's the Real Reason Rob Kardashian Tweeted Kylie Jenner's Number. Does She Deserve It?