Michael Phelps Ends Retirement, May Compete in Rio 2016
Michael Phelps is back on competitive swim for fun. The 22-time Olympic medalist is coming out of retirement and may participate in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
Phelps' coach told the Associated Press that the 28-year-old would compete for the first time since 2012 games in London at the Arena Grand Prix in Mesa, Arizona on April 24 to 26. "I think he's just going to test the waters a little bit and see how it goes," Bowman said by phone from Baltimore on Monday, April 14. "I wouldn't say it's a full-fledged comeback."
Bowman also told USA Today, "As of today, I definitely expect him to swim." He will be competing in three events; the 50- and 100-meter freestyles and the 100 butterfly. "We're looking forward to it. I think it'll be great for the sport to have Michael compete again. We really don't have any expectations for what might happen," Bowman added.
Phelps has submitted drug testing earlier this year and completed the six-month waiting period by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to be eligible for competition. He has been training five days a week with Bowman's team at the North Baltimore Aquatic Club in his hometown.
Phelps previously said that he wouldn't swim through his 30s. "This is a part of my life I'm enjoying," he told Baltimore Sun in June last year. "I've never had freedom like this. I live on my own time. I play golf three or four times a week. I wake up whenever I want. I have a few things to do here and there, but mostly my time is mine. I'm not thinking about changing that."
More Michael Phelps News
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video
- Harambe the Gorilla Shooting Sparks Outrage Among Hollywood Stars
- Brooklyn Beckham Flaunting His Abs in This Shirtless Selfie Will Make You Drool
- 'Game of Thrones': George R. R. Martin Reveals Brienne's Backstory