Alexa Ray Joel Diagnosed With Vasovagal Syncope After Collapsing Onstage
Alexa Ray Joel speaks out after collapsing onstage during a Saturday, April 12 concert in New York City. The daughter of Billy Joel reveals that she has vasovagal syncope, which commonly causes fainting.
Joel was rushed from Cafe Carlyle to the emergency room at New York Presbyterian. Earlier that day, she told her audience that she was not feeling well, having neck and back pain, but wanted the show to go on. Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment.
"I wanted to thank everyone for coming out to support me," she said in a statement. "I was excited and determined to fulfill my final performance, and I really wanted to end my run with a bang, but this was not what I had in mind. And hope I have the opportunity to make it up to the wonderful audience very soon. Thanks for all the concern."
Joel has been taking a two-week residency at Carlyle since April 1. The day she fainted, she had a sold-out crowd.
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 6 Finale Recap: Does It Confirm Fan Theory About Jon's True Parentage?
- BET Awards 2016: Bryson Tiller and Drake Win More
- Jennifer Hudson Dresses as Prince in White Hooded Dress at 2016 BET Awards
- BET Awards 2016: Erykah Badu, Tori Kelly and Jennifer Hudson Team Up for Prince Tribute
- Demi Lovato Opens Up About Addictions and Eating Disorder, Says She 'Was Going to Die Young'
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage