'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Beats 'Rio 2' to Keep Box Office Crown
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is unstoppable. The Marvel superhero movie directed by the Russo brothers stays strong at the first place on domestic box office with additional $41.4 million (56% decrease), fending off strong competitor "Rio 2" and two other new releases "Oculus" and "Draft Day".
The Marvel movie has now raked in $159 million in North America and $476.1 million worldwide, topping the lifetime global gross of 2011's "Captain America: The First Avenger" ($370.5 million) and the first "Thor" film ($449 million). It also becomes the biggest film of the year so far, surpassing "The Lego Movie" ($424.8M worldwide).
"Rio 2" follows The Cap, flying at the runner-up position. Despite its strong Friday box office ($12 million), the family animated flick voiced by Anne Hathaway, Jesse Eisenberg, and Jamie Foxx falls short of taking the top spot on the domestic chart but it's still off to a strong start by finishing the weekend with an estimated $39 million.
The number is not far away from the first-weekend ticket sales earned by the first "Rio" film which started with $39.2 million back in 2011. "It was a complete aberration," said Fox distribution chief Chris Aronson. "And with spring break in full swing, and with no other animated film opening for another nine weeks, we are in fantastic shape."
Costing $103M to produce, the "Rio" sequel beats "Captain America 2" overseas. It adds $62.3 million this weekend from 62 markets after opening in international markets in late March, while the Marvel pic adds $60.6 million from 54 territories. "Rio 2" has now earned $125.2 million internationally for a global total of $164.2 million.
"Oculus" takes the third place with approximately $12 million. The horror film made on a shoestring budget of only $5 million is led by "Guardians of the Galaxy" star Karen Gillian. It beats sports drama "Draft Day" starring Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner which could only enter the chart at No. 4 with an estimated $9.8 million. Former champ "Divergent" rounds up the top five with additional $7.5 million.
- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - $41.4 million
- "Rio 2" - $39 million
- "Oculus" - $12 million
- "Draft Day" - $9.8 million
- "Divergent" - $7.5 million
- "Noah" - $7.45 million
- "God's Not Dead" - $5.5 million
- "The Grand Budapest Hotel" - $4.1 million
- "Muppets Most Wanted" - $2.2 million
- "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" - $1.8 million
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title
- Louis Tomlinson Mourning the Loss of His Mother Who Dies of Leukemia
- Woody Harrelson Hell Bent on Killing Caesar in 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Trailer
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance