'Divergent' Threequel 'Allegiant' Split Into Two Films for 2016 and 2017
"Divergent" follows other Young Adult franchise like "Twilight", "Harry Potter", and "The Hunger Games" in splitting its last installment into two films. Lionsgate/Summit announces "Allegiant - Part 1" will be released on March 18, 2016 and "Allegiant - Part 2" will follow on March 24, 2017.
"Veronica Roth brings her captivating story to a masterful conclusion in Allegiant, a rich, action-packed book with material that is ideally suited to two strong and fulfilling movies," said Lionsgate co-chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger.
"The storytelling arc and world of the characters lend themselves perfectly to two films, a storytelling strategy that has worked very well for us on the two' Twilight Breaking Dawn' films and about which we're tremendously enthusiastic for the two upcoming 'Mockingjay' films of 'The Hunger Games' franchise."
The first film opened to $56 million when arriving in U.S. theaters last March. The sequel, "Insurgent", is scheduled for March 20, 2015 release with Shailene Woodley expected to reprise her role as the main heroine, Beatris 'Tris' Prior.
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier