'Divergent' Threequel 'Allegiant' Split Into Two Films for 2016 and 2017
"Divergent" follows other Young Adult franchise like "Twilight", "Harry Potter", and "The Hunger Games" in splitting its last installment into two films. Lionsgate/Summit announces "Allegiant - Part 1" will be released on March 18, 2016 and "Allegiant - Part 2" will follow on March 24, 2017.
"Veronica Roth brings her captivating story to a masterful conclusion in Allegiant, a rich, action-packed book with material that is ideally suited to two strong and fulfilling movies," said Lionsgate co-chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger.
"The storytelling arc and world of the characters lend themselves perfectly to two films, a storytelling strategy that has worked very well for us on the two' Twilight Breaking Dawn' films and about which we're tremendously enthusiastic for the two upcoming 'Mockingjay' films of 'The Hunger Games' franchise."
The first film opened to $56 million when arriving in U.S. theaters last March. The sequel, "Insurgent", is scheduled for March 20, 2015 release with Shailene Woodley expected to reprise her role as the main heroine, Beatris 'Tris' Prior.
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off