'Divergent' Threequel 'Allegiant' Split Into Two Films for 2016 and 2017
"Divergent" follows other Young Adult franchise like "Twilight", "Harry Potter", and "The Hunger Games" in splitting its last installment into two films. Lionsgate/Summit announces "Allegiant - Part 1" will be released on March 18, 2016 and "Allegiant - Part 2" will follow on March 24, 2017.
"Veronica Roth brings her captivating story to a masterful conclusion in Allegiant, a rich, action-packed book with material that is ideally suited to two strong and fulfilling movies," said Lionsgate co-chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger.
"The storytelling arc and world of the characters lend themselves perfectly to two films, a storytelling strategy that has worked very well for us on the two' Twilight Breaking Dawn' films and about which we're tremendously enthusiastic for the two upcoming 'Mockingjay' films of 'The Hunger Games' franchise."
The first film opened to $56 million when arriving in U.S. theaters last March. The sequel, "Insurgent", is scheduled for March 20, 2015 release with Shailene Woodley expected to reprise her role as the main heroine, Beatris 'Tris' Prior.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones