'Divergent' Threequel 'Allegiant' Split Into Two Films for 2016 and 2017
"Divergent" follows other Young Adult franchise like "Twilight", "Harry Potter", and "The Hunger Games" in splitting its last installment into two films. Lionsgate/Summit announces "Allegiant - Part 1" will be released on March 18, 2016 and "Allegiant - Part 2" will follow on March 24, 2017.
"Veronica Roth brings her captivating story to a masterful conclusion in Allegiant, a rich, action-packed book with material that is ideally suited to two strong and fulfilling movies," said Lionsgate co-chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger.
"The storytelling arc and world of the characters lend themselves perfectly to two films, a storytelling strategy that has worked very well for us on the two' Twilight Breaking Dawn' films and about which we're tremendously enthusiastic for the two upcoming 'Mockingjay' films of 'The Hunger Games' franchise."
The first film opened to $56 million when arriving in U.S. theaters last March. The sequel, "Insurgent", is scheduled for March 20, 2015 release with Shailene Woodley expected to reprise her role as the main heroine, Beatris 'Tris' Prior.
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Name Newborn Baby Boy Dimitri
- John Cena and Casey Affleck Tapped to Host 'SNL'
- Anna Faris Admits She Felt 'Insecure' and 'So Hurt' Over Chris Pratt Cheating Rumors
- Amy Schumer to Play Lead Role in 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- Megyn Kelly Courted by CNN for 8 or 9 P.M. Time Slots
- Check Out First Look at Anne Hathaway on Set of 'Ocean's Eight'
- 'Full House' Creator Buys Original Tanner House in San Francisco for $4M
- Mandy Moore Talks About Her Lesbian Mother and Gay Brothers