'Divergent' Threequel 'Allegiant' Split Into Two Films for 2016 and 2017
"Divergent" follows other Young Adult franchise like "Twilight", "Harry Potter", and "The Hunger Games" in splitting its last installment into two films. Lionsgate/Summit announces "Allegiant - Part 1" will be released on March 18, 2016 and "Allegiant - Part 2" will follow on March 24, 2017.
"Veronica Roth brings her captivating story to a masterful conclusion in Allegiant, a rich, action-packed book with material that is ideally suited to two strong and fulfilling movies," said Lionsgate co-chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger.
"The storytelling arc and world of the characters lend themselves perfectly to two films, a storytelling strategy that has worked very well for us on the two' Twilight Breaking Dawn' films and about which we're tremendously enthusiastic for the two upcoming 'Mockingjay' films of 'The Hunger Games' franchise."
The first film opened to $56 million when arriving in U.S. theaters last March. The sequel, "Insurgent", is scheduled for March 20, 2015 release with Shailene Woodley expected to reprise her role as the main heroine, Beatris 'Tris' Prior.
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Competition! Scarlett Johansson Develops a Zelda Fitzgerald Rival Project
- 'The Punisher' Announces 5 More New Cast Members
- Kristen Stewart Reunites With 'Twilight' Co-Stars at Women in Hollywood Awards
- Len Wiseman Files for Divorce From Kate Beckinsale
- Lady GaGa to Perform at 2016 American Music Awards
- Gilmore Girls at Major Crossroads in 'A Year in the Life' First Trailer
- Justin Timberlake Votes Early and Lands in Trouble for Taking Ballot Selfie
- 'Walking Dead' Slammed by Parents TV Council Over Violent Season 7 Premiere