Lawyer: Mickey Rooney Didn't Want to Be Buried Near Stepson
Mickey Rooney's family is having arguments over the actor's burial site. Rooney's attorney Michael Augustine said that the actor wanted to be buried in Los Angeles' Hollywood Forever Cemetery or with the veterans, while his wife Jan planned to bury him in a family plot in Westlake Village.
"Mickey told me numerous times - including when he was revising his will a month ago - 'I want to be buried in Hollywood. If I can't be buried there, then I want to be buried with veterans,' " Augustine said, as quoted by PEOPLE.
Augustine previously attempted to block Jan and her son Chris Aber from obtaining the actor's remains to be buried in Westlake Village which is about 90 minutes north of L.A. "Mickey told me, 'I don't want to be buried in Westlake. There's nothing for me in Westlake, that's where Aber is,' " Augustin shared.
Janice Rooney's attorney Yevegeny Belous, meanwhile, said that the star's wife had the power to arrange the funeral. "Legally speaking, Jan is the only person who has legal authority at this point to arrange the disposition of Mickey's remain," the attorney said, as quoted by NBC News. "What we have always tried to do this whole week, and throughout this controversy, is to honor Mickey's wishes and to make sure he has a burial befitting him as an individual and monumental figure."
Both parties, however, hoped that they would reach an agreement before a hearing on Friday, April 11. "We're going to try to resolve the disagreement and we think the wife will agree. The dispute on Friday I think will go away," Augustine said.
"We are in the process of working out some arrangements to reach an amicable end to this without having to have litigation. Everybody has the same interest at heart at this point: to make sure Mickey's memory is honored, to make sure that he gets a proper burial, and to not drag this out in a courtroom," Belous added.
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami
- 'Stranger Things' Officially Renewed for Season 2 - Watch the Teaser Here!
- Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban Lead Nominations for 2016 CMA Awards
- Demi Lovato Surprises Fans as Undercover Lyft Driver and Disses Selena Gomez
- Chris Brown Is Released on $250K Bail, Lawyer Calls Assault Allegations 'Demonstrably False'