Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Dragged Into Lawsuit Over 'Twilight' Bonuses
Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are entangled in a lawsuit filed by "Twilight" financier Goldcrest against distributor Summit Entertainment. The plaintiff accuses the defendant of "deceptive accounting practices" to "systematically understate revenues and overstate its costs."
Goldcrest claims they were cheated out of their fair share of profits from the 2008 movie. According to Goldcrest, they hired accounting firm Hacker Douglas to conduct an audit after Summit refused to show the full documentation on how much money was spent and was made from the vampire romance.
From the audit, Goldcrest allegedly found they were improperly charged for some items. "Defendant made over $39.3 million worth of errors in the calculation of the Goldcrest Participations," the suit reads, "Resulting in a $6.3 million loss to Goldcrest and its other counterparties in the transaction."
The expenses that should not be charged against their profits, Goldcrest says, included additional bonuses paid to main cast Pattinson and Stewart who played on-screen couple Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg, and book author Stephenie Meyer.
According to the lawsuit, Pattinson was originally paid a $300,000 bonus for the first film, but when the producers negotiated for their return to the sequel, they agreed to pay him and Stewart a $2.5M bonus each not for the second installment, but for the first one. Rosenberg and Meyer, meanwhile, got an additional $500,000 each.
Goldcrest argues that since the money was paid to convince them to return for the sequel, "The Twilight Saga's New Moon", Summit which is now part of Lionsgate shouldn't have listed it as expenses from the first film.
More Twilight News
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama