Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Dragged Into Lawsuit Over 'Twilight' Bonuses
Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are entangled in a lawsuit filed by "Twilight" financier Goldcrest against distributor Summit Entertainment. The plaintiff accuses the defendant of "deceptive accounting practices" to "systematically understate revenues and overstate its costs."
Goldcrest claims they were cheated out of their fair share of profits from the 2008 movie. According to Goldcrest, they hired accounting firm Hacker Douglas to conduct an audit after Summit refused to show the full documentation on how much money was spent and was made from the vampire romance.
From the audit, Goldcrest allegedly found they were improperly charged for some items. "Defendant made over $39.3 million worth of errors in the calculation of the Goldcrest Participations," the suit reads, "Resulting in a $6.3 million loss to Goldcrest and its other counterparties in the transaction."
The expenses that should not be charged against their profits, Goldcrest says, included additional bonuses paid to main cast Pattinson and Stewart who played on-screen couple Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg, and book author Stephenie Meyer.
According to the lawsuit, Pattinson was originally paid a $300,000 bonus for the first film, but when the producers negotiated for their return to the sequel, they agreed to pay him and Stewart a $2.5M bonus each not for the second installment, but for the first one. Rosenberg and Meyer, meanwhile, got an additional $500,000 each.
Goldcrest argues that since the money was paid to convince them to return for the sequel, "The Twilight Saga's New Moon", Summit which is now part of Lionsgate shouldn't have listed it as expenses from the first film.
More Twilight News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media