Amanda Bynes' Mother Says Star's Odd Behavior Was Caused by Marijuana
Amanda Bynes' mother has spoken up about assumptions that her daughter suffered from mental illness. Amanda's mother Lynn Bynes released a statement to media via the family's lawyer Tamar Arminak on Wednesday, April 9 to deny that mental illness contributed to the star's odd behavior in the past.
"Amanda has no mental illness whatsoever. She has never been diagnosed as schizophrenic or bipolar," the star's mother said. "She is very sorry for all the hurtful tweets, statements and actions that occurred while she was under the influence of marijuana."
Last year, Bynes made headlines because of her controversial Twitter posts in which she slammed fellow celebrities as well as other public figures. In May, she was accused of throwing drug paraphernalia out of a window from her NYC apartment.
Bynes' lawyer additionally talked about Bynes' health in a statement to PEOPLE. "There has been much speculation about Amanda's medical condition. She asked me to dispel certain rumors. For the record, Amanda does not have schizophrenia, nor has she ever been diagnosed with it," Arminak explained.
"Amanda currently is on zero medication," she added. "She's devoted to living her life as healthy as possible. She's never had a history of abusing alcohol or hard drugs, and she's proud to say she's been marijuana-free for the past nine months."
The "Easy A" star is now a student at Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Orange County, Calif. "Amanda is very happy studying fashion and she hopes to one day design her own line," the lawyer continued. "She's doing extremely well. Her primary focus is bonding with her family and being a student."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie