Amanda Bynes' Mother Says Star's Odd Behavior Was Caused by Marijuana
Amanda Bynes' mother has spoken up about assumptions that her daughter suffered from mental illness. Amanda's mother Lynn Bynes released a statement to media via the family's lawyer Tamar Arminak on Wednesday, April 9 to deny that mental illness contributed to the star's odd behavior in the past.
"Amanda has no mental illness whatsoever. She has never been diagnosed as schizophrenic or bipolar," the star's mother said. "She is very sorry for all the hurtful tweets, statements and actions that occurred while she was under the influence of marijuana."
Last year, Bynes made headlines because of her controversial Twitter posts in which she slammed fellow celebrities as well as other public figures. In May, she was accused of throwing drug paraphernalia out of a window from her NYC apartment.
Bynes' lawyer additionally talked about Bynes' health in a statement to PEOPLE. "There has been much speculation about Amanda's medical condition. She asked me to dispel certain rumors. For the record, Amanda does not have schizophrenia, nor has she ever been diagnosed with it," Arminak explained.
"Amanda currently is on zero medication," she added. "She's devoted to living her life as healthy as possible. She's never had a history of abusing alcohol or hard drugs, and she's proud to say she's been marijuana-free for the past nine months."
The "Easy A" star is now a student at Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Orange County, Calif. "Amanda is very happy studying fashion and she hopes to one day design her own line," the lawyer continued. "She's doing extremely well. Her primary focus is bonding with her family and being a student."
More Amanda Bynes News
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked