Amanda Bynes' Mother Says Star's Odd Behavior Was Caused by Marijuana
Amanda Bynes' mother has spoken up about assumptions that her daughter suffered from mental illness. Amanda's mother Lynn Bynes released a statement to media via the family's lawyer Tamar Arminak on Wednesday, April 9 to deny that mental illness contributed to the star's odd behavior in the past.
"Amanda has no mental illness whatsoever. She has never been diagnosed as schizophrenic or bipolar," the star's mother said. "She is very sorry for all the hurtful tweets, statements and actions that occurred while she was under the influence of marijuana."
Last year, Bynes made headlines because of her controversial Twitter posts in which she slammed fellow celebrities as well as other public figures. In May, she was accused of throwing drug paraphernalia out of a window from her NYC apartment.
Bynes' lawyer additionally talked about Bynes' health in a statement to PEOPLE. "There has been much speculation about Amanda's medical condition. She asked me to dispel certain rumors. For the record, Amanda does not have schizophrenia, nor has she ever been diagnosed with it," Arminak explained.
"Amanda currently is on zero medication," she added. "She's devoted to living her life as healthy as possible. She's never had a history of abusing alcohol or hard drugs, and she's proud to say she's been marijuana-free for the past nine months."
The "Easy A" star is now a student at Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Orange County, Calif. "Amanda is very happy studying fashion and she hopes to one day design her own line," the lawyer continued. "She's doing extremely well. Her primary focus is bonding with her family and being a student."
More Amanda Bynes News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy