Drake Nabbed Hosting Job at 2014 ESPYs
Drake is selected to host this year's ESPY Awards, it has been announced. "This is an incredible opportunity for me to combine two of my biggest passions - sports and performing," Drake said in a statement released by ESPN.
The rapper has also said on Twitter that he is "honored" to host the event that will take place July 16 at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles. The sports event will be televised live at 9 P.M. on ESPN.
"Drake is an unbelievably talented entertainer who truly has a passion for sports. We are thrilled to have him to host this year's show," said Connor Schell, a Vice President at ESPN who oversees the ESPYs.
Drake played hockey when he was younger and became the "global ambassador" for his hometown NBA team, the Toronto Raptors, last year.
TMZ said Drake nabbed the hosting role after producers saw his impressive job on "SNL" earlier this season. Sources said Drake was "extremely passionate about hosting the awards show" and has been rehearsing months away. He also credited his job hosting the 2011 Juno Awards in Canada as proof that he could pull off such events.
More Drake News
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says