Drake Nabbed Hosting Job at 2014 ESPYs
Drake is selected to host this year's ESPY Awards, it has been announced. "This is an incredible opportunity for me to combine two of my biggest passions - sports and performing," Drake said in a statement released by ESPN.
The rapper has also said on Twitter that he is "honored" to host the event that will take place July 16 at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles. The sports event will be televised live at 9 P.M. on ESPN.
"Drake is an unbelievably talented entertainer who truly has a passion for sports. We are thrilled to have him to host this year's show," said Connor Schell, a Vice President at ESPN who oversees the ESPYs.
Drake played hockey when he was younger and became the "global ambassador" for his hometown NBA team, the Toronto Raptors, last year.
TMZ said Drake nabbed the hosting role after producers saw his impressive job on "SNL" earlier this season. Sources said Drake was "extremely passionate about hosting the awards show" and has been rehearsing months away. He also credited his job hosting the 2011 Juno Awards in Canada as proof that he could pull off such events.
More Drake News
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo