Drake Nabbed Hosting Job at 2014 ESPYs
Drake is selected to host this year's ESPY Awards, it has been announced. "This is an incredible opportunity for me to combine two of my biggest passions - sports and performing," Drake said in a statement released by ESPN.
The rapper has also said on Twitter that he is "honored" to host the event that will take place July 16 at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles. The sports event will be televised live at 9 P.M. on ESPN.
"Drake is an unbelievably talented entertainer who truly has a passion for sports. We are thrilled to have him to host this year's show," said Connor Schell, a Vice President at ESPN who oversees the ESPYs.
Drake played hockey when he was younger and became the "global ambassador" for his hometown NBA team, the Toronto Raptors, last year.
TMZ said Drake nabbed the hosting role after producers saw his impressive job on "SNL" earlier this season. Sources said Drake was "extremely passionate about hosting the awards show" and has been rehearsing months away. He also credited his job hosting the 2011 Juno Awards in Canada as proof that he could pull off such events.
More Drake News
- Antonio Banderas Reveals Suffering From Heart Attack
- Harry Styles Teases First Solo Single and Books Release Date
- Liam Payne and Cheryl Welcome Baby Boy - See the Baby's Pic!
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'