Barbara Walters' Last Date on 'The View' Announced
Barbara Walters will bid "The View" goodbye on Friday, May 16, it has been revealed. The 84-year-old veteran announced her retirement from television journalism in May last year.
"In this business there are legends, there are icons, and then there is Barbara Walters," Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive of The Walt Disney Company said in a statement. "She's a dear friend and colleague as well as someone I deeply admire, and it's impossible to fully convey her impact and influence on television. She broke barriers, defied convention, made history and set the standard for journalistic excellence for more than 50 years. It's hard to imagine television without her."
Walters will be given a week-long goodbye on "The View" beginning Monday, May 12. There will be a two-hour primetime special highlighting her life and career on May 16. Moreover, the ABC News headquarters in NYC will be named in her honor during a ceremony to be held this spring.
"Barbara Walters was one of the first people I met as an ABC page almost 38 years ago. She was fiercely intelligent, impressive, and inspiring then, and remains so to this day...Her influence on television, and American culture, will resonate for decades to come," Anne Sweeney, co-chair of Disney Media Networks and president of Disney/ABC Television Group said.
It is yet clear who will replace her on "The View". She began her stint on the talk show in 1997 and will remain as executive producer as well as "a lifelong member of ABC News, contributing as news warrants."
- Tarek and Christina El Moussa 'Desperately Trying' to Stay in the Limelight by Eying Solo Shows
- Kylie Jenner Goes Makeup Free During a Day Out With Tyga
- Listen to Lana Del Rey's Long-Awaited Dreamy Song 'Love'
- Liam Payne Is Doing Home Renovation Before Cheryl Gives Birth
- Britney Spears Bares Her Naked Body in NSFW Instagram Pic
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.11 Sneak Peeks: What Happens to Dwight After Daryl's Escape?
- Madonna's New Twins Singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' Are Just Too Cute
- Report: Louis Tomlinson Rekindles Romance With Eleanor Calder Two Years After Split