Rob Lowe: Les Moonves Badgered Me Into Turning Down 'Grey's Anatomy'
Weeks after turning 50, Rob Lowe released his second memor "Love Life", detailing his stories as a husband and a father to two children as well as his career and romance. In the book, he reveals how he turned down what now becomes one of the most popular TV roles.
The "Killing Kennedy" star says he had verbally accepted the lead role on CBS' pilot "Dr. Vegas" when he got an offer to play Dr. Derek "McDreamy" Shepherd on "Grey's Anatomy". "After a week of negotiating, my deal was done, although not yet signed. It was then that I got an urgent call from the producers of a potential new show for ABC called 'Grey's Anatomy'," he recalls.
"I agreed to meet with the people making 'Grey's Anatomy'. I had read it and loved it-the writing was crisp, real and very entertaining-and it's always been a good idea to hear out talented people," he adds. "Grey's was a much better script; in fact, there was no comparison."
Though he loved the script, Lowe eventually turned down "Grey's" in favor of "Dr. Vegas". He admits that it's CBS boss Les Moonves who convinced him to do so. Moonves told the Golden Globe-nominated actor, "Let me tell you how it is. ABC is the lowest-rated network. ... At CBS we make hits."
Unfortunately, "Dr. Vegas" only lasted for five episodes. He, however, later became popular for his role as Robert McCallister on ABC's "Brothers & Sisters" before starring on NBC's "Parks and Recreation".
It wasn't the only juicy chance that Lowe missed. He reveals that Madonna once invited him backstage after a 1984 concert. They later hit a club together where she asked him to dance, but Lowe demurred and Madge left him and she never returned.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance