Artist of the Week: Idina Menzel
Idina Menzel was already known for being a Tony Award-winning Broadway star before she landed role as the biological mother of Lea Michele's Rachel Berry on FOX's "Glee". She became more popular after joining the cast of "Frozen (2013)", which recently became the highest-grossing animated movie of all time.
In addition to voicing Elsa the Snow Queen, Menzel recorded "Let It Go" for the soundtrack of the Disney film. The empowering song was composed by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez and has been covered by former Disney star Demi Lovato.
Menzel's "Let It Go" won the Best Original Song at the Academy Awards earlier this year. It bested other nominees that included Pharrell Williams' "Happy" from "Despicable Me 2", Karen O's "The Moon Song" from "Her" and U2's "Ordinary Love" from "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom".
The track has also been performing well on charts. It has so far peaked at No. 5 on Billboard 100, becoming the first song from a Disney animated musical to enter the chart's top 10 since 1995 when Vanessa Williams' "Colors of the Wind" from "Pocahontas" peaked at number four.
Menzel also has to thank John Travolta for her current fame. The actor accidentally introduced her as "Adele Dazeem" when she was about to perform the hit at the Academy Awards. The 42-year-old songbird recently talked about the flub when she visited "Today" show.
"It threw me for like eight seconds because I had done this whole preparation to make sure I really was in my body and didn't get too nervous," she told host Savannah Guthrie of Travolta messing up her name during the awards show. "And then he said my name like that and I was like, 'Did that just happen?' ... Then the orchestra started and then for eight seconds, I said, 'Get your s**t together! And like, stop worrying about your name and sing this song!' "
Menzel revealed that Travolta had sent her "lots of apologies" following the incident. "He's been really nice," Menzel said.
More Idina Menzel News
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says
- Joe Biden to Guest Star on 'Law and Order: SVU'. Get the First Look
- Listen to Pink and Kenny Chesney's New Song 'Setting the World on Fire'
- Lindsay Lohan Isn't Pregnant, Close Friend Hofit Golan Confirms
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Already Planning for Third Baby
- Marvel Confirms 'Avengers: Infinity War' Is One Movie, 'Avengers 4' Is Now Untitled
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album