Video: Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan Diss Britney Spears and Justin Bieber at ACM Awards
Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan channeled their inner comedian when hosting the 2014 Academy of Country Music Awards Sunday, April 6. Kicking off the ceremony, the country music crooners promised that audience would be treated to live performances throughout the ceremony. "If you don't like live music, just go down the street and see Britney Spears," Shelton dissed the pop star, who began her two-year residency at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas in late 2013.
The two later pointed out how things had changed a lot since they hosted the show last year. "Last year, when you heard Merle Haggard singing a song about being drunk, out of work and in jail, it sounded like Merle was signing about his younger self," Bryan said. Shelton responded, "This year, it sounds like he's singing about Justin Bieber."
They also poked fun at Miley Cyrus and her infamous foam finger when addressing Jake Owen's go-cart accident. Jake lost a finger in the incident. "You know where they found it?" Shelton enthused. "On Miley Cyrus' tour bus. It was takin' a selfie and smokin' a doobie."
The two hosts even poked fun at each other when mentioning Carrie Underwood's recent raved performance at "The Sound of Music Live!". Bryan proposed to his co-host, "You and Miranda [Lambert]... You'd be perfect for 'Beauty and the Beast'," to which Shelton replied, "And you could be an 'American Idiot'."
When discussing that same-sex marriage has become a hot topic this year, Shelton said last year "same sex marriage" meant "once you got married, you had the same sex over, and over, and over again." The coach on "The Voice" also claimed that "as far as Miranda's concerned, I'm already 'entertainer of the year.' " Bryan quipped, "More like entertainer of the minute."
Later on the show, when they tried to recreate Ellen DeGeneres' Oscar selfie, the duo ditched Tim McGraw for being "boring" and Jason Aldean for being "not big enough." They also appeared in Daft Punk's signature helmets but quickly took them off. "How the hell are you supposed to get lucky in that thing?" Bryan asked. "I couldn't even breathe."
- Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood Welcomes Twins at Age 68
- Tyga's New Lady Demi Rose Tries to Copy Kylie Jenner by Wearing Similar Strappy Bikini
- Shawn Mendes Teases His Upcoming Album
- Kim Kardashian Visits Snapchat Office. See Some Exclusive Filters She Gets!
- Alicia Keys Goes Makeup Free, Pens Powerful Essay About Overcoming Her Insecurities
- Simon Cowell and His Snarky Comments Make Return on 'America's Got Talent' Season 11 Premiere
- Sienna Miller Still Cares 'Enormously' for Ex-Fiance Jude Law
- Zendaya Coleman Criticized for Posting This Racy Picture