'Star Wars Episode 7' Already Starts Filming, Casting Is Almost Complete
"Star Wars Episode 7" has hit the set for filming although no new cast was announced. During a recent panel at Loyola Marymount University School of Film and Television in Los Angeles, Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said, "We're actually shooting some of it now."
Does it mean that the casting is complete? "We have a lot of them [in place]," the exec revealed, before adding, "We're just not completely done yet." He, however, refused to divulge any further, channeling his inner Yoda as saying, "Patience you must have."
Horn admitted getting the script right was a challenge, "It's all about the screenplay. It has to be screenplay, screenplay, screenplay." When asked about the storyline, he said it would pick up "where 6 left off - and where 6 left off is 35 years ago by the time this is released."
An early draft of the screenplay was written by "Toy Story 3" scribe Michael Arndt, before director J.J. Abrams took it over with Lawrence Kasdan. The much-awaited movie is scheduled to make its way out across the States on December 18, 2015.
Dominic Monaghan previously shed some lights on what to expect from the new cast. The former star of Abrams' show "Lost" said the producers were putting together "a cast of unknowns." He explained, "What he said was, 'We don't want to fall into that mistake of people going 'Oh it's that guy from that thing!' and then you're completely out of the 'Star Wars' universe.' "
Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher are expected to reprise their roles as the classic "Star Wars" trio, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia, respectively. Lupita Nyong'o is hotly tipped to play a new major role, while Adam Driver is rumored to play the main baddie.
The rumored candidates for the new male lead, meanwhile, are Ed Speleers ("Downton Abbey"), John Boyega ("Attack the Block"), and two theater actors Matthew James Thomas as well as Ray Fisher. Jesse Plemons ("Breaking Bad") was also in the casting mix, but he was later rumored being out of contention after joining "Black Mass".
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney Are 'Talking' About Giving Their Relationship Another Chance
- Michael Fassbender Wants You to Explore the World of 'Assassin's Creed' in New Featurette
- 'American Horror Story: Roanoke': Who Dies This Time and What Will Happen Next?
- Man Wielding Sledgehammer Smashes Donald Trump's Walk of Fame Star to Pieces
- Doctor Strange Could Unite the Divided Avengers in 'Infinity War', Says Benedict Cumberbatch