'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Breaks Box Office Record at No. 1 With $96.2 Million
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" makes a record-breaking entry at the top spot on North American box office over the first weekend of April. The comic book movie directed by the Russo brothers scores a grand debut of an estimated $96.2 million.
Although It couldn't quite match "The Avengers" and the three "Iron Man" movies, the second "Captain America" film did enough to outrank some of the stand-alone Marvel movies, including both "Thor" films and 2011's "Captain America: The First Avenger".
On top of that, the Chris Evans starrer posts the biggest April opening of all time. The $170M tentpole shatters the previous record held by Universal's fifth installment of "Fast and Furious" franchise, "Fast Five", which opened domestically in 2011 with $86.2 million.
The film that sees The Cap struggling to fit in the modern world and facing off an unlikely foe gets an A CinemaScore across all demos and stellar reviews from critics. It appeals mostly to male (64 percent) and proves to be a date movie (58 percent of audience are couples).
Overseas, "Captain America 2" arrived roughly a week ahead of its North American release. After 10 days of hitting theaters across the globe, it earned a total of $207.1 million for a worldwide gross of $303.3 million. It's only $70 million behind the $370.6 million earned by the first film in its entire run.
"Noah" follows The Cap's domination at the runner-up place, slipping one spot lower with a distant $17 million. "Divergent" rounds up the top 3 with an estimated $12 million, while "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and "Muppets Most Wanted" trail closely behind with approximately $6.3 million and a little over $6.2 million respectively.
- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - $96.2 million
- "Noah" - $17 million
- "Divergent" - $12 million
- "God's Not Dead" - $7.7 million
- "The Grand Budapest Hotel" - $6.3 million
- "Muppets Most Wanted" - $6.29 million
- "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" - $5.3 million
- "Sabotage" - $1.9 million
- "Need for Speed" - $1.84 million
- "Non-Stop" - $1.83 million
'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' - New TV Spot:
'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' - New Clip:
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!