MGM Sues Universal Over Joe Cornish's 'Section 6' Due to James Bond Similarity
MGM is looking to block "Section 6", a historical spy movie which is expected to depict the origins of MI6, the British intelligence agency founded during World War I. The studio files lawsuit against Universal, claiming that the thriller is too similar to James Bond story.
The thriller has Joe Cornish ("Attack the Block") attached at the helm and actors Jack O'Connell & Hugh Jackman eying the lead role. It will focus on MI6's first director, Sir George Mansfield Cummings, who served as the inspiration for Bond's boss M.
"This lawsuit concerns a motion picture project, in active development, featuring a daring, tuxedo-clad British secret agent, employed by His Majesty's Secret Service, with a 'license to kill,' and a 00 secret agent number on a mission to save England from the diabolical plot of a megalomanical villain," the lawsuit reads. "Most moviegoers would assume from that description alone that this lawsuit concerns the next James Bond picture. It does not."
"Section 6" is scripted by Aaron Berg. MGM and James Bond's producer Danjaq claim they tried to settle the dispute without involving a judge. According to the plaintiffs, they asked see the screenplay to make sure it's not too similar to 007, but Universal refused their request.
The new James Bond movie is gearing up for production. It is expected to begin filming in October this year for U.S. release on November 6, 2015. Director Sam Mendes and screenwriter John Logan return for the sequel, while Daniel Craig is back as the 007 spy agent.
Ralph Fiennes reprises his role as Bond's new boss after Judi Dench's character met her demise in "Skyfall". Naomie Harris (Eve Moneypenny) and Ben Whishaw (Q) are expected to return as well. Chiwetel Ejiofor is considered to play the villain, while Swedish actresses Ida Engvoll and Disa Ostrand are eying two key female roles.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special