Video: 'The Simpsons' Dedicates Couch Gag to David Letterman
David Letterman is not leaving "Late Show" yet until 2015, but already "The Simpsons" pays tribute to the veteran comedian in a couch gag. Debuted a day after Letterman's retirement announcement on Thursday, March 3, the clip follows Homer and his family as they make their way to "Late Show with David Letterman", overcoming all obstacles including a traffic jam and a security guard.
Since the 66-year-old TV star announced to audience on his show that he would retire as "Late Night" host sometime next year, talks have been brewing about who will replace him. Stephen Colbert, whose contract with Comedy Central will expire later this year, is reportedly the top choice to succeed Letterman. A source says the "Colbert Report" host has spoken to CBS about the gig.
Ellen DeGeneres and Tina Fey are allegedly also on the list of possible replacement, with the daytime talk show host having been talking quietly with CBS about taking over "Late Show". Meanwhile, a rep for Fey says the "30 Rock" creator has not spoken to the network.
Conan O'Brien, John Oliver and Neil Patrick Harris also emerge as candidates to replace Letterman, while Craig Ferguson who hosts the Letterman-produced "The Late Late Show" is said the least likely successor. CBS refuses to comment on the rumors, telling Mashable via a spokesman, "We're not commenting on any rumors or speculation about succession."
When opening his show on Friday, Letterman addressed his retirement plan. "A year from now, I'll be on a beach with a metal detector," he said in his monologue. Revealing the reason he's retiring, he jokingly said that after over three decades on the air, his makeup artist told him, "Dave, there's really nothing more I could do."
"The Simpsons" - Letterman Couch Gag:
Preview of "Late Show with David Letterman" for April 4, 2014:
More The Simpsons News
- 'House of Cards' Unveils Chilling Teaser for Season 5 on Trump's Inauguration Day
- 'Green Lantern Corps' Is Eying Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Tom Cruise
- Bella Hadid Goes Braless in Completely Sheer Top. See the Eye-Popping Pics
- Find Out Who Will Be Godparents to George and Amal Clooney's Twins
- Jackie Evancho Delivers Live Performance of National Anthem at Donald Trump's Inauguration
- Emily Ratajkowski Strips Down to Lacy Lingerie on Streets for DKNY Campaign
- Angelina Jolie Loses Her Team's Trust Amid Brad Pitt Custody War
- 'Cult of Chucky' Image Offers First Look at the Murderous Doll With No Head