Video: 'The Simpsons' Dedicates Couch Gag to David Letterman
David Letterman is not leaving "Late Show" yet until 2015, but already "The Simpsons" pays tribute to the veteran comedian in a couch gag. Debuted a day after Letterman's retirement announcement on Thursday, March 3, the clip follows Homer and his family as they make their way to "Late Show with David Letterman", overcoming all obstacles including a traffic jam and a security guard.
Since the 66-year-old TV star announced to audience on his show that he would retire as "Late Night" host sometime next year, talks have been brewing about who will replace him. Stephen Colbert, whose contract with Comedy Central will expire later this year, is reportedly the top choice to succeed Letterman. A source says the "Colbert Report" host has spoken to CBS about the gig.
Ellen DeGeneres and Tina Fey are allegedly also on the list of possible replacement, with the daytime talk show host having been talking quietly with CBS about taking over "Late Show". Meanwhile, a rep for Fey says the "30 Rock" creator has not spoken to the network.
Conan O'Brien, John Oliver and Neil Patrick Harris also emerge as candidates to replace Letterman, while Craig Ferguson who hosts the Letterman-produced "The Late Late Show" is said the least likely successor. CBS refuses to comment on the rumors, telling Mashable via a spokesman, "We're not commenting on any rumors or speculation about succession."
When opening his show on Friday, Letterman addressed his retirement plan. "A year from now, I'll be on a beach with a metal detector," he said in his monologue. Revealing the reason he's retiring, he jokingly said that after over three decades on the air, his makeup artist told him, "Dave, there's really nothing more I could do."
"The Simpsons" - Letterman Couch Gag:
Preview of "Late Show with David Letterman" for April 4, 2014:
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 3.06 Sneak Peeks: 'More People Will Die'
- BET Awards 2017: Watch Performances by Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar, Migos, Chris Brown and More
- Disgusted Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Scott Disick Is 'Using' Bella Thorne
- Keith Urban Celebrates 11th Anniversary With Nicole Kidman: 'You Still Feel Like My Girlfriend'
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Tops Box Office, 'Wonder Woman' Sets New Record
- Lil' Kim Is Under Investigation After BET Awards Party House Robbery
- A$AP Rocky Involved in a Fight During Kendrick Lamar's Set at Pre-BET Awards Party
- Netflix Cancels 'Girlboss' After One Season