Lupita Nyong'o 'Honored' to Be Named Lancome's New Face
Lupita Nyong'o is revealed as the latest Lancome brand ambassador. A photo of the Oscar-winning actress in her first beauty campaign for the label was debuted on Friday, April 4.
"I am truly honored to join the Maison Lancome, a brand with such a prestigious history and that I have always loved," Nyong'o said in a statement. "I am particularly proud to represent its unique vision for women and the idea that beauty should not be dictated, but should instead be an expression of a woman's freedom to be herself."
In her new role, the 31-year-old joins the brand's current spokeswomen such as Kate Winslet, Julia Roberts, and Penelope Cruz. The "12 Years a Slave" star's ads will launch in September.
She told WWD, "What appealed to me about Lancome is that they're not dictating what beauty is.. What they do supports something that already is - and that was appealing to me, too. It's what drew me to them. Hopefully it's a symbiotic relationship - that I benefit from being associated with them, and they benefit from being associated with me, as well."
She also related it to her Oscar win, saying, "I had to give a speech about beauty right before the Oscars, and for me, beauty is a compassion for yourself and those around you. And I think that in focusing on that, the light inside illuminates the beauty outside. The idea that Lancome now has a few actor ambassadors is significant because actors are not just faces, they are spirits that people enjoy and relate to more than in an aesthetic way. We have the privilege of standing for something other than just looks."
Citing supermodel Alek Wek as her inspiration, she said, "When she came on the scene, I felt more seen. Having me on a huge campaign like this will hopefully do that for other girls or people who feel unseen or underseen."
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'