Will Ferrell to Star in Bobby Riggs Vs. Billie Jean King Movie
Will Ferrell is cast in a sports drama comedy, "Match Maker". The "Anchorman: The Legend Continues" actor will play former No. 1 tennis player Bobby Riggs in a movie scripted by Steve Conrad ("The Secret Life of Walter Mitty").
The film is adapted from an ESPN Magazine article titled "The Match Maker: Bobby Riggs, The Mafia and The Battle of the Sexes" which was written by Don Van Natta Jr. The story told of the infamous rivalry between Riggs and Billie Jean King in 1973.
Riggs came out of his retirement to challenge the female tennis player in a game that became known as "The Battle of the Sexes." More than 50 million Americans watched King beat Riggs and win $100,000. He reportedly lost on purpose to pay off his gambling debts to the mob.
Ferrell was last seen on "Anchorman 2" last year and voiced the villain in "The Lego Movie" in February this year. He will next star opposite Kristen Wiig in "Welcome to Me" and Kevin Hart in "Get Hard".
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia
- Heath Ledger's Dad Blames Son for His Tragic Death: 'It Was Totally His Fault'
- Spidey's Suit Will Have New Abilities in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Mr. Robot 2.05 Preview: This Is What You Wanted
- JoJo Was Forced to Inject Herself to Lose Weight Fast
- Calvin Harris Is Avoiding Kanye West Collab Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' Gets First Teaser and Premiere Date