'Big Bang Theory' Joins Forces With Lucasfilm to Celebrate 'Star Wars' Day
"The Big Bang Theory" partners with Lucasfilm for an epic "Star Wars" episode set to air May 1, just in time for the annual May 4 "Star Wars" Day. For the episode, a group of special effects technicians from Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic will help the show recreate Dagobah.
Dagobah is the remote world surrounded by swamps and forest where Yoda lived in exile. The Lucasfilm technicians will also provide props for the episode, including a light saber. They will consult on the episode and the final touches will be completed at Lucasfilm's San Francisco headquarters.
In the episode titled "The Proton Transmogrification", the gang gets together to celebrate the annual geek holiday. Bob Newhart returns as Professor Proton, Sheldon's childhood idol and mentor, who appears to the Jim Parsons' character as his own Jedi master.
"We were approached by the Lucasfilm people to do something to celebrate Star Wars Day, which was nice," co-creator Chuck Lorre tells The Hollywood Reporter. Showrunner Steve Molaro chimes in, "We knew that Bob was coming back and Lucasfilm called us, and we realized that that this might be an opportunity to mix both stories and come up with something special."
Molaro excitedly shares, "Bob is going to be swinging a light saber around and they sent us a real one to use. They're going to help make it look and sound right. It's an amazing crossover for us."
Newhart, meanwhile, talks about doing "some research" into "Star Wars", "I talked to Chuck, Steve and [co-creator/EP] Bill [Prady] about it and they gave me the 'Phantom Menace' so I knew what [Dagobah] would look like. They explained to me what the light saber was and what it could do - and not to point it at Jim because it would kill him!"
"The Big Bang Theory" airs Thursdays at 8 P.M. on CBS.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March