'Big Bang Theory' Joins Forces With Lucasfilm to Celebrate 'Star Wars' Day
"The Big Bang Theory" partners with Lucasfilm for an epic "Star Wars" episode set to air May 1, just in time for the annual May 4 "Star Wars" Day. For the episode, a group of special effects technicians from Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic will help the show recreate Dagobah.
Dagobah is the remote world surrounded by swamps and forest where Yoda lived in exile. The Lucasfilm technicians will also provide props for the episode, including a light saber. They will consult on the episode and the final touches will be completed at Lucasfilm's San Francisco headquarters.
In the episode titled "The Proton Transmogrification", the gang gets together to celebrate the annual geek holiday. Bob Newhart returns as Professor Proton, Sheldon's childhood idol and mentor, who appears to the Jim Parsons' character as his own Jedi master.
"We were approached by the Lucasfilm people to do something to celebrate Star Wars Day, which was nice," co-creator Chuck Lorre tells The Hollywood Reporter. Showrunner Steve Molaro chimes in, "We knew that Bob was coming back and Lucasfilm called us, and we realized that that this might be an opportunity to mix both stories and come up with something special."
Molaro excitedly shares, "Bob is going to be swinging a light saber around and they sent us a real one to use. They're going to help make it look and sound right. It's an amazing crossover for us."
Newhart, meanwhile, talks about doing "some research" into "Star Wars", "I talked to Chuck, Steve and [co-creator/EP] Bill [Prady] about it and they gave me the 'Phantom Menace' so I knew what [Dagobah] would look like. They explained to me what the light saber was and what it could do - and not to point it at Jim because it would kill him!"
"The Big Bang Theory" airs Thursdays at 8 P.M. on CBS.
More The Big Bang Theory News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story