'Big Bang Theory' Joins Forces With Lucasfilm to Celebrate 'Star Wars' Day
"The Big Bang Theory" partners with Lucasfilm for an epic "Star Wars" episode set to air May 1, just in time for the annual May 4 "Star Wars" Day. For the episode, a group of special effects technicians from Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic will help the show recreate Dagobah.
Dagobah is the remote world surrounded by swamps and forest where Yoda lived in exile. The Lucasfilm technicians will also provide props for the episode, including a light saber. They will consult on the episode and the final touches will be completed at Lucasfilm's San Francisco headquarters.
In the episode titled "The Proton Transmogrification", the gang gets together to celebrate the annual geek holiday. Bob Newhart returns as Professor Proton, Sheldon's childhood idol and mentor, who appears to the Jim Parsons' character as his own Jedi master.
"We were approached by the Lucasfilm people to do something to celebrate Star Wars Day, which was nice," co-creator Chuck Lorre tells The Hollywood Reporter. Showrunner Steve Molaro chimes in, "We knew that Bob was coming back and Lucasfilm called us, and we realized that that this might be an opportunity to mix both stories and come up with something special."
Molaro excitedly shares, "Bob is going to be swinging a light saber around and they sent us a real one to use. They're going to help make it look and sound right. It's an amazing crossover for us."
Newhart, meanwhile, talks about doing "some research" into "Star Wars", "I talked to Chuck, Steve and [co-creator/EP] Bill [Prady] about it and they gave me the 'Phantom Menace' so I knew what [Dagobah] would look like. They explained to me what the light saber was and what it could do - and not to point it at Jim because it would kill him!"
"The Big Bang Theory" airs Thursdays at 8 P.M. on CBS.
- Racist Men Charged for Hurling N-Word at Jamie Foxx
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army