Nick Cannon Responds to Controversy Over His 'Whiteface' Stunt
Nick Cannon recently sparked racial controversy after he sported lighter skin to promote his new album, "White People Party Music". The rapper/TV host defended his action when he visited "Good Morning America" on Monday, March 31.
Cannon appeared on the show in a white suit and black tie paired with colorful shoes that matched his new cheetah-print hair coloring. He then told host George Stephanopoulos why he did the stunt even though he knew it would land him in troubles.
"Everybody's really sensitive when it comes to race and that's the reason I did it," he explained. "I knew it would spark some controversy, but I felt like it's a conversation that we needed because we all have differences we embrace. I talk about it in my standup all the time. It is not a new conversation, but a topic of sensationalism."
"It's even funny they're using this term 'whiteface,' " he continued. "Like, I don't really know what that is. I know blackface is a term that was created in 1869 to describe offensive minstrel shows. Whiteface, if you look it up and Google it, it's a ski slope up in upstate New York. I was doing a character impression. Blackface is about oppression."
Mariah Carey's other half then added that the "whiteface" stunt was just his way to "have fun." He said, "Yes we have issues with race in this country, this world, but it doesn't have to be with hatred. There's a big difference between humor and hatred."
Cannon's "White People Party Music" is coming out on Tuesday, April 1. "I'm an artist. I get the opportunity to create. Everything's going to come with consequences and a little heat, but if I can take the heat, let's ride," he said of his first album in more than a decade.
More Nick Cannon News
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'