'Gravity' and 'The Hobbit 2' Win Big at 2014 Empire Awards
The movie awards season may have ended in the U.S., but more prizes were handed out for the best in the industry at the 2014 Jameson Empire Awards held Sunday, March 30 at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, England. The event was glittered with the appearance of such A-listers as Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rosamund Pike, Emma Thompson, Kate Beckinsale, Margot Robbie and James McAvoy.
Getting the big honor as the Best Film was "Gravity". The sci-fi movie beat out "12 Years a Slave", "Captain Phillips", "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" and "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" to win the coveted award. Due to his work on the movie, Alfonso Cuaron win the Best Director Award.
Also coming home with two gongs was "The Hobbit 2". In addition to being dubbed Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy, the Peter Jackson-directed movie helped its star Aidan Turner win the Best Male Newcomer prize, edging out the likes of Barkhad Abdi ("Captain Phillips") and Will Poulter ("We're The Millers").
Two other Best Film nominees, "12 Years a Slave" and "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire", didn't come home empty handed either. The slavery movie's star Michael Fassbender was chosen as Best Supporting Actor, while the popular film adaptation of Suzanne Collins' dystopian novel was dubbed the Best Thriller.
"The Conjuring" was named Best Horror and "Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa" was the Best Comedy. Other acting honor went to Margot Robbie of "The Wolf of Wall Street" (Best Female Newcomer), Sally Hawkins of "Blue Jasmine" (Best Supporting Actress), Emma Thompson of "Saving Mr. Banks" (Best Actress) and James McAvoy of "Filth" (Best Actor).
Tom Cruise was honored with The Legend of Our Lifetime, Arnold Schwarzenegger was named The Action Hero of Our Lifetime and Hugh Jackman was presented with Empire Icon. Academy Award-nominated director Paul Greengrass also got a trophy for Empire Inspiration.
- The Legend of Our Lifetime: Tom Cruise
- The Action Hero of Our Lifetime: Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Empire Icon: Hugh Jackman
- Empire Hero: Simon Pegg
- Empire Inspiration: Paul Greengrass
- Best Male Newcomer: Aidan Turner ("The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug")
- Best Female Newcomer: Margot Robbie ("The Wolf of Wall Street")
- Best Horror: "The Conjuring"
- Best Comedy: "Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa"
- Best Thriller: "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire"
- Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
- Best Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender ("12 Years a Slave")
- Best Supporting Actress: Sally Hawkins ("Blue Jasmine")
- Best British Film: "The World's End"
- Best Actress: Emma Thompson ("Saving Mr. Banks")
- Jameson Best Actor: James McAvoy ("Filth")
- Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron ("Gravity")
- Best Film: "Gravity"
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments