Artist of the Week: Christina Perri
Christina Perri had a success with her debut album, "lovestrong.". Now the 27-year-old singer is ready to repeat the success with "Head or Heart", her sophomore effort which is scheduled to come out on April 1.
During an album listening party earlier this month, Perri said that she only needed 33 days to write her last album, but she spent a year and 78 days to write songs for this one. When speaking with The Hollywood Reporter backstage, she explained why she spent more time for the new project.
"It allowed to take my time and be a little picky - sometimes too picky, so that's why you have a time to finally stop you and be like, it's done - but it allowed me to really be part of every single part," she said.
She added, "I thought the whole album was done when we finished recording it, and then you mix it and it all changes, and then you master it and it all changes a little, if you don't stay completely attached to it. Meaning more and more cooks come into the kitchen, so I had to be so present for every part to keep my authenticity, which I did. That took a while."
Perri then revealed that the mixing process was the most difficult part of working on the record, which has spawned singles "Human" and "Burning Gold". The former has so far peaked at No. 51 on Billboard 100 and No. 14 on Billboard's Adult Top 40.
In addition to the two songs, "Head of Heart" features Perri's collaboration with Ed Sheeran whom she called "one of [her] favorite people on the planet." The duet is titled "Be My Forever" and it's one of the happiest songs she's ever written.
"I was the most in love I may have ever been in my whole life, which is awesome because I knew I had a happy song in me," she said of the track in another interview. "As much as I love the heart-wrenching stuff, I didn't want to force a happy song, and I think you can always tell when a song is fake."
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest