Robin Thicke Cancels Juno Award Performance to Have 'Vocal Rest'
Robin Thicke canceled his appearance at the 2014 Juno Awards just hours before he's scheduled to take the stage. According to the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the reason behind the last-minute cancellation is "mandatory vocal rest."
"This is show business, so we're always prepared for this type of situation," said John Brunton, executive producer of the two-hour show. "[Sunday] morning's announcement will not impact what is looking to be a hell of a show."
A few weeks ago, Thicke scrapped some shows due to his vocal issues. However, many have speculated that this time's cancellation may be the result of an online petition launched to have him removed from the show's line-up.
"Despite the blatant sexism, degradation of women and promotion of rape culture in Robin Thicke's song and music video 'Blurred Lines', Thicke is nominated for three awards," read the petition on change.org. "This is not a song, nor a message, that should be rewarded."
"Thicke's music is in direct contradiction to Canadian values of equality and human rights. Tell the JUNO Awards not to reward rape culture, but instead to take action against it by removing Robin Thicke from all nominations and cancelling his scheduled performance at the award show," added the petition, which already had garnered 1,500 signatures before Thicke's cancellation was announced.
Thicke's absence at Juno Awards won't be a big deal as big names like Classified, OneRepublic, Sarah McLachlan and Serena Ryder will still perform. "If rehearsals are any indication, viewers will be treated to a fantastic broadcast, and a few surprises as well," Brunton added.
- 'Pretty Little Liars' 7.03 Preview: Ali Fights Back
- Lisa Marie Presley Splits From Michael Lockwood After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kylie Jenner Kisses Tyga in This Sexy Photobooth Pic
- Daniel Radcliffe Is 'Leaving Room' to Play 'Harry Potter' Again in the Future
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show