Robin Thicke Cancels Juno Award Performance to Have 'Vocal Rest'
Robin Thicke canceled his appearance at the 2014 Juno Awards just hours before he's scheduled to take the stage. According to the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the reason behind the last-minute cancellation is "mandatory vocal rest."
"This is show business, so we're always prepared for this type of situation," said John Brunton, executive producer of the two-hour show. "[Sunday] morning's announcement will not impact what is looking to be a hell of a show."
A few weeks ago, Thicke scrapped some shows due to his vocal issues. However, many have speculated that this time's cancellation may be the result of an online petition launched to have him removed from the show's line-up.
"Despite the blatant sexism, degradation of women and promotion of rape culture in Robin Thicke's song and music video 'Blurred Lines', Thicke is nominated for three awards," read the petition on change.org. "This is not a song, nor a message, that should be rewarded."
"Thicke's music is in direct contradiction to Canadian values of equality and human rights. Tell the JUNO Awards not to reward rape culture, but instead to take action against it by removing Robin Thicke from all nominations and cancelling his scheduled performance at the award show," added the petition, which already had garnered 1,500 signatures before Thicke's cancellation was announced.
Thicke's absence at Juno Awards won't be a big deal as big names like Classified, OneRepublic, Sarah McLachlan and Serena Ryder will still perform. "If rehearsals are any indication, viewers will be treated to a fantastic broadcast, and a few surprises as well," Brunton added.
More Robin Thicke News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics