Josh Elliott Leaves 'Good Morning America' for NBC Sports
Josh Elliott is leaving "Good Morning America" after almost four years. ABC News president Ben Sherwood announced in a note to the news division on Sunday, March 30 that the former ESPN sportscaster would be joining NBC Sports and be replaced by Amy Robach as a "GMA" co-anchor effective immediately.
"Amy is a world class anchor and correspondent who is beloved by our morning audience and all who know her," Sherwood noted. Robach, who was filling in for Robin Roberts (II) during her recovery from a bone marrow transplant for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), has been a contributing correspondent on "GMA" since 2012. In late 2013, she announced on the show that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and later underwent a bilateral mastectomy.
Elliott was embroiled in a contract negotiation with ABC for weeks prior to his official exit announcement. He was reportedly unhappy about his current salary and demanded a pay hike up to around $8 million per year.
After fellow anchor Lara Spencer signed a multiyear contract worth an estimated $2 million a year on Thursday, Elliott raised his ask to $10 million a year. ABC was believed to offer around $4-$5 million to Elliott which was already a big raise from his current $1.2 million salary.
"As many of you know, we have been negotiating with Josh these past several months," Sherwood acknowledged the issue in his note. "In good faith, we worked hard to close a significant gap between our generous offer and his expectations. In the end, Josh felt he deserved a different deal and so he chose a new path."
"I want to thank Josh for his many contributions to GMA and ABC News. Later in the week, we will bid him farewell," he added. "Please join me in congratulating Amy on her well-earned promotion. And let's bid goodbye to Josh with gratitude and good wishes."
Elliott is considered a key part of the team of talent that helped "GMA" end "Today" 16-year streak as the most watched morning program in 2012.
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift