Josh Elliott Leaves 'Good Morning America' for NBC Sports
Josh Elliott is leaving "Good Morning America" after almost four years. ABC News president Ben Sherwood announced in a note to the news division on Sunday, March 30 that the former ESPN sportscaster would be joining NBC Sports and be replaced by Amy Robach as a "GMA" co-anchor effective immediately.
"Amy is a world class anchor and correspondent who is beloved by our morning audience and all who know her," Sherwood noted. Robach, who was filling in for Robin Roberts (II) during her recovery from a bone marrow transplant for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), has been a contributing correspondent on "GMA" since 2012. In late 2013, she announced on the show that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and later underwent a bilateral mastectomy.
Elliott was embroiled in a contract negotiation with ABC for weeks prior to his official exit announcement. He was reportedly unhappy about his current salary and demanded a pay hike up to around $8 million per year.
After fellow anchor Lara Spencer signed a multiyear contract worth an estimated $2 million a year on Thursday, Elliott raised his ask to $10 million a year. ABC was believed to offer around $4-$5 million to Elliott which was already a big raise from his current $1.2 million salary.
"As many of you know, we have been negotiating with Josh these past several months," Sherwood acknowledged the issue in his note. "In good faith, we worked hard to close a significant gap between our generous offer and his expectations. In the end, Josh felt he deserved a different deal and so he chose a new path."
"I want to thank Josh for his many contributions to GMA and ABC News. Later in the week, we will bid him farewell," he added. "Please join me in congratulating Amy on her well-earned promotion. And let's bid goodbye to Josh with gratitude and good wishes."
Elliott is considered a key part of the team of talent that helped "GMA" end "Today" 16-year streak as the most watched morning program in 2012.
More Good Morning America News
- Tyler Hoechlin Suits Up as Superman in His First Look on 'Supergirl'
- JoJo Goes Skinny Dipping in 'F**k Apologies' Video Feat. Wiz Khalifa
- Khloe Kardashian Blasts Critics for Claiming She's 'Too Skinny'
- Bring on the Baby Wipes! The Rock Takes on Mid-Flight Diaper Duty With Daughter Jasmine
- Kim Kardashian Admits That Her Curvy Figure Makes Her Feel Insecure
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert