Josh Elliott Leaves 'Good Morning America' for NBC Sports
Josh Elliott is leaving "Good Morning America" after almost four years. ABC News president Ben Sherwood announced in a note to the news division on Sunday, March 30 that the former ESPN sportscaster would be joining NBC Sports and be replaced by Amy Robach as a "GMA" co-anchor effective immediately.
"Amy is a world class anchor and correspondent who is beloved by our morning audience and all who know her," Sherwood noted. Robach, who was filling in for Robin Roberts (II) during her recovery from a bone marrow transplant for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), has been a contributing correspondent on "GMA" since 2012. In late 2013, she announced on the show that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and later underwent a bilateral mastectomy.
Elliott was embroiled in a contract negotiation with ABC for weeks prior to his official exit announcement. He was reportedly unhappy about his current salary and demanded a pay hike up to around $8 million per year.
After fellow anchor Lara Spencer signed a multiyear contract worth an estimated $2 million a year on Thursday, Elliott raised his ask to $10 million a year. ABC was believed to offer around $4-$5 million to Elliott which was already a big raise from his current $1.2 million salary.
"As many of you know, we have been negotiating with Josh these past several months," Sherwood acknowledged the issue in his note. "In good faith, we worked hard to close a significant gap between our generous offer and his expectations. In the end, Josh felt he deserved a different deal and so he chose a new path."
"I want to thank Josh for his many contributions to GMA and ABC News. Later in the week, we will bid him farewell," he added. "Please join me in congratulating Amy on her well-earned promotion. And let's bid goodbye to Josh with gratitude and good wishes."
Elliott is considered a key part of the team of talent that helped "GMA" end "Today" 16-year streak as the most watched morning program in 2012.
More Good Morning America News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris