Jerry Bruckheimer: 'Top Gun 2' Will Pit Tom Cruise Against Drones
"Top Gun 2" is still happening despite rumors to the contrary. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer discusses the project with HuffPost Live and reveals the storyline. He says they will explore the role of drones and pit Tom Cruise's character against the machine in the sequel.
"We've been trying to get that movie made for 30 years, and I think we're getting closer and closer," he said. "[co-producer] Don [Simpson] and I tried to develop something, we didn't succeed. Cruise took over, and he tried to develop something, and he didn't succeed. Now we're back at it."
The story that finally worked came from director Tony Scott's idea. "The concept is, basically, are the pilots obsolete because of drones. Cruise is going to show them that they're not obsolete. They're here to stay," Bruckheimer revealed. "It's just getting to the starting place."
"Fortunately for Tom, he's very busy, so you have to find a slot he can fit into and get a budget that Paramount feels they can make the picture," the producer added.
The original movie was released in 1986 and went on to become the highest-grossing film of the year. It rocketed Scott's career and fame as a director and made him one of Hollywood's A-list action filmmakers of the era.
The sequel almost happened earlier. Even Paramount's Head of Production Adam Goodman once said they planned to make the "Top Gun" sequel first before doing the next "Mission Impossible" flick. However, it was halted following Scott's shocking suicide in August 2012.
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga Make Out in New Alexander Wang Promo
- Brad Pitt Cancels Red Carpet Appearance Due to 'Family Situation'
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce