Jerry Bruckheimer: 'Top Gun 2' Will Pit Tom Cruise Against Drones
"Top Gun 2" is still happening despite rumors to the contrary. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer discusses the project with HuffPost Live and reveals the storyline. He says they will explore the role of drones and pit Tom Cruise's character against the machine in the sequel.
"We've been trying to get that movie made for 30 years, and I think we're getting closer and closer," he said. "[co-producer] Don [Simpson] and I tried to develop something, we didn't succeed. Cruise took over, and he tried to develop something, and he didn't succeed. Now we're back at it."
The story that finally worked came from director Tony Scott's idea. "The concept is, basically, are the pilots obsolete because of drones. Cruise is going to show them that they're not obsolete. They're here to stay," Bruckheimer revealed. "It's just getting to the starting place."
"Fortunately for Tom, he's very busy, so you have to find a slot he can fit into and get a budget that Paramount feels they can make the picture," the producer added.
The original movie was released in 1986 and went on to become the highest-grossing film of the year. It rocketed Scott's career and fame as a director and made him one of Hollywood's A-list action filmmakers of the era.
The sequel almost happened earlier. Even Paramount's Head of Production Adam Goodman once said they planned to make the "Top Gun" sequel first before doing the next "Mission Impossible" flick. However, it was halted following Scott's shocking suicide in August 2012.
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?
- Charli XCX Releases 'After the Afterparty' Feat. Lil Yachty
- Calvin Harris Flirts With Halsey on Twitter
- Kanye West Plays Birthday Video for Kim and Gives Her Shout-Out During 'Saint Pablo' Show
- Get Your First Look at Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie on 'Thor: Ragnarok' Set
- Madonna Lets Photographer Grab Her Crotch During Party. See the Pics!