Jerry Bruckheimer: 'Top Gun 2' Will Pit Tom Cruise Against Drones
"Top Gun 2" is still happening despite rumors to the contrary. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer discusses the project with HuffPost Live and reveals the storyline. He says they will explore the role of drones and pit Tom Cruise's character against the machine in the sequel.
"We've been trying to get that movie made for 30 years, and I think we're getting closer and closer," he said. "[co-producer] Don [Simpson] and I tried to develop something, we didn't succeed. Cruise took over, and he tried to develop something, and he didn't succeed. Now we're back at it."
The story that finally worked came from director Tony Scott's idea. "The concept is, basically, are the pilots obsolete because of drones. Cruise is going to show them that they're not obsolete. They're here to stay," Bruckheimer revealed. "It's just getting to the starting place."
"Fortunately for Tom, he's very busy, so you have to find a slot he can fit into and get a budget that Paramount feels they can make the picture," the producer added.
The original movie was released in 1986 and went on to become the highest-grossing film of the year. It rocketed Scott's career and fame as a director and made him one of Hollywood's A-list action filmmakers of the era.
The sequel almost happened earlier. Even Paramount's Head of Production Adam Goodman once said they planned to make the "Top Gun" sequel first before doing the next "Mission Impossible" flick. However, it was halted following Scott's shocking suicide in August 2012.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics