ABC Also Cancels 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' After One Season
Alice's adventure in Wonderland will soon be over on ABC. The network has officially revealed that freshman drama "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" won't return for a second season by announcing on Thursday night, March 27 that next week's episode would be a "series finale" instead of a season finale.
The "Once Upon a Time" spin-off will be replaced by "Shark Tank" on April 10 at 8 P.M. as part of a two-night special, with April 11 as the second night. Repeats of "Grey's Anatomy" will take over the slot starting April 17 until the end of the season.
"Wonderland" was originally envisioned as a miniseries to bridge the gap between seasons of the mother show. But ABC changed its mind, launching the show last fall and giving the Thursday, 8 P.M. slot where many shows including "Last Resort", "Charlie's Angels", "Missing", "My Generation" and "FlashForward" had stumbled before.
ABC Entertainment Group president Paul Lee admitted in January that they made a wrong decision and should've stuck to the original plan. "That would have been a natural audience to go through there," he said at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour. "That Thursday slot is difficult."
Lee continued, "We loved the idea. We knew the creative was great, and so we loved the idea of having a run of empowered women going all the way through Thursday night [with 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Scandal']. What we didn't want to do is play defense on Thursday when we wanted to play offense. But in retrospect, I think it would have done better there, and I should have stuck to the earlier idea," adding, "I totally take responsibility for that."
"Wonderland" opened soft in October with a total of 5.8 million viewers. The latest episode aired last night drew 3.4 million audience in total.
On Thursday, ABC yanked another freshman drama, "Mind Games", off its schedule after just five episodes following soft ratings. The Christian Slater-starring series would be replaced by repeats of new drama "Resurrection" on Tuesday at 10 P.M. for two weeks, before "Celebrity Wife Swap" takes over the slot starting April 15.
"Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" Preview for Series Finale:
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace's Murder Trial Begins, His Chilling Line Before the Shooting Is Revealed
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Civil War' and 'Batman v Superman' Dominate Movie Nomination
- 'The Voice' Crowns the Winner, Cee-Lo Green Returns in Star-Studded Finale
- Check Out Christina Aguilera's Powerful Duet With Ariana Grande on 'The Voice'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Who Wins the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Niall Horan Blasts 'Abusive' Fans Who Keep Him 'Awake at Night'
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory