Janelle Monae Performs 'What Is Love' on 'American Idol'
Janelle Monae turned the stage of "American Idol" into the carnival of Brazil when she delivered the first live TV performance of "What Is Love" during the Thursday, March 27 episode of the singing show. After an introduction from host Ryan Seacrest as well as judges Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr., the R&B diva appeared on the stage in all-white outfit.
She sang the first lines of the fun song, which appears in the soundtrack of "Rio 2", with some backing vocalists and a backing band before showing off some energetic choreography while being surrounded by a bunch of dancers and drummers. Some scenes from the animated movie were played on the big screen behind them.
"Wow. we just performed @americanidol. Thank you to #rio & #brazil for being an inspiration for my song for #rio2!!" Monae voiced her excitement on Twitter following the performance.
"Rio 2" is set to open in U.S. theaters on April 11. The film's soundtrack album, featuring contributions from Bruno Mars, B.o.B and Ester Dean among others, is out now.
More Janelle Monae News
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'