Janelle Monae Performs 'What Is Love' on 'American Idol'
Janelle Monae turned the stage of "American Idol" into the carnival of Brazil when she delivered the first live TV performance of "What Is Love" during the Thursday, March 27 episode of the singing show. After an introduction from host Ryan Seacrest as well as judges Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr., the R&B diva appeared on the stage in all-white outfit.
She sang the first lines of the fun song, which appears in the soundtrack of "Rio 2", with some backing vocalists and a backing band before showing off some energetic choreography while being surrounded by a bunch of dancers and drummers. Some scenes from the animated movie were played on the big screen behind them.
"Wow. we just performed @americanidol. Thank you to #rio & #brazil for being an inspiration for my song for #rio2!!" Monae voiced her excitement on Twitter following the performance.
"Rio 2" is set to open in U.S. theaters on April 11. The film's soundtrack album, featuring contributions from Bruno Mars, B.o.B and Ester Dean among others, is out now.
- Lady GaGa Hits Recording Studio With BloodPop, Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker
- Derek Hough Confirms He's Back on 'Dancing with the Stars', Cheryl Burke Also Returns
- Ruby Rose Splits From Girlfriend Harley Gusman
- Ariana Grande Kisses Mac Miller and Sits on His Lap at VMAs After-Party
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs