Janelle Monae Performs 'What Is Love' on 'American Idol'
Janelle Monae turned the stage of "American Idol" into the carnival of Brazil when she delivered the first live TV performance of "What Is Love" during the Thursday, March 27 episode of the singing show. After an introduction from host Ryan Seacrest as well as judges Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr., the R&B diva appeared on the stage in all-white outfit.
She sang the first lines of the fun song, which appears in the soundtrack of "Rio 2", with some backing vocalists and a backing band before showing off some energetic choreography while being surrounded by a bunch of dancers and drummers. Some scenes from the animated movie were played on the big screen behind them.
"Wow. we just performed @americanidol. Thank you to #rio & #brazil for being an inspiration for my song for #rio2!!" Monae voiced her excitement on Twitter following the performance.
"Rio 2" is set to open in U.S. theaters on April 11. The film's soundtrack album, featuring contributions from Bruno Mars, B.o.B and Ester Dean among others, is out now.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story