Janelle Monae Performs 'What Is Love' on 'American Idol'
Janelle Monae turned the stage of "American Idol" into the carnival of Brazil when she delivered the first live TV performance of "What Is Love" during the Thursday, March 27 episode of the singing show. After an introduction from host Ryan Seacrest as well as judges Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr., the R&B diva appeared on the stage in all-white outfit.
She sang the first lines of the fun song, which appears in the soundtrack of "Rio 2", with some backing vocalists and a backing band before showing off some energetic choreography while being surrounded by a bunch of dancers and drummers. Some scenes from the animated movie were played on the big screen behind them.
"Wow. we just performed @americanidol. Thank you to #rio & #brazil for being an inspiration for my song for #rio2!!" Monae voiced her excitement on Twitter following the performance.
"Rio 2" is set to open in U.S. theaters on April 11. The film's soundtrack album, featuring contributions from Bruno Mars, B.o.B and Ester Dean among others, is out now.
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'