Selena Gomez Got Emotional Talking About Recent Setback
Selena Gomez almost broke down in tears when telling her life story and a recent setback. Speaking for We Day California at Oakland's Oracle Arena on Wednesday, March 26, the 21-year-old singer revealed the emotional issues she experienced that prompted her to seek treatment in rehab earlier this year.
"I'm here to just tell you my path," Gomez said. "I don't like be honest with press and interviews, I like being honest with you." The former Disney star said she wanted to be an actress at the age of 7. "When I was 11, I had a casting director tell me I wasn't strong enough to carry my own show," she added. "It does more than knock the wind out of you, it crushes you when people try to tell you you're not good enough."
She continued, "I'm surrounded by people who are supposed to guide me, and some of them have, and others haven't. They pressure me. There's so much pressure. You gotta be sexy, you gotta be cute, you gotta be nice. You gotta be all these things."
She went on telling the youths in audience, "I'm sure you can all relate. You all have pressure that you have to deal with every day, with school, with work, with friends, with parents, with family." In her case, "They tell me what to wear, how to look, what I should say, how I should be."
And then she got emotional when saying, "Until recently, I had given into that pressure. I lost sight of who I was. I listened to opinions of people, and I tried to change who I am because I thought that others would accept me for it." Her advice was, "Please just remain who you are and know that we have each other's back."
More Selena Gomez News
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle