Selena Gomez Got Emotional Talking About Recent Setback
Selena Gomez almost broke down in tears when telling her life story and a recent setback. Speaking for We Day California at Oakland's Oracle Arena on Wednesday, March 26, the 21-year-old singer revealed the emotional issues she experienced that prompted her to seek treatment in rehab earlier this year.
"I'm here to just tell you my path," Gomez said. "I don't like be honest with press and interviews, I like being honest with you." The former Disney star said she wanted to be an actress at the age of 7. "When I was 11, I had a casting director tell me I wasn't strong enough to carry my own show," she added. "It does more than knock the wind out of you, it crushes you when people try to tell you you're not good enough."
She continued, "I'm surrounded by people who are supposed to guide me, and some of them have, and others haven't. They pressure me. There's so much pressure. You gotta be sexy, you gotta be cute, you gotta be nice. You gotta be all these things."
She went on telling the youths in audience, "I'm sure you can all relate. You all have pressure that you have to deal with every day, with school, with work, with friends, with parents, with family." In her case, "They tell me what to wear, how to look, what I should say, how I should be."
And then she got emotional when saying, "Until recently, I had given into that pressure. I lost sight of who I was. I listened to opinions of people, and I tried to change who I am because I thought that others would accept me for it." Her advice was, "Please just remain who you are and know that we have each other's back."
More Selena Gomez News
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie