MK Nobilette Appreciates 'American Idol' Producers for Letting Her Be Openly Gay
MK Nobilette didn't stay long enough on "American Idol" finals, but she may forever be remembered as the first openly gay finalist on the show. The tenth place finisher of season 13 opened up about her sexual orientation during a conversation with Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr. before she made it into Top 30.
Speaking after her elimination last Thursday, March 20, she appreciated the producers' decision to put the pre-taped conversation in the broadcast version. "They didn't have to put it in there," she told TV Guide. "That was their choice, which I appreciated."
On what prompted her to reveal her sexual orientation, the 20-year-old artist shared, "They ask what makes you different from the other contestants. Well, that's like the No. 1 thing that makes me different from the other contestants. Also, it's not just a singing competition. It's a reality TV show. And on reality television, the people viewing it want to have a sense of connection to the person who they are rooting for. So for my fans specifically, a lot of them were younger queer people."
"And just to say that, I think, makes a statement that I'm proud about it, which I am. I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that I was trying to hide something that's important. And that also helps people get to know who I am, which is important."
MK has got positive and negative comments since then, but admitted that she "never intended it to be a big deal." She added, "It's cool that it was. That's awesome. And it's good that it was so big in a positive light. But at the same time, it wasn't intended to be like that. I just said it because it's obvious."
The day before her exit, MK sang Pink's "Perfect" but forgot some of the lyrics. "That was always a rough spot with that song. I do love that song," she claimed, but added, "It's a great song but it wasn't on my list."
MK will reunite with the other Top 10 singers on "Idol" summer tour.
More American Idol News
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered